Re: [new_distillers] Mead

  • White Bear
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 25, 2013
      Alli-
        You may be right that it won't stay around you house that long BUT... if you can wait for it to mature you will not be dissapointed.  Yes, it does take a long time for it to mature but IMHO, it is worth the wait.
      WB

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 25, 2013
        That's why you make triple batches, and hide shit!

        From: White Bear <sha_man_1@...>
        Sender: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:33:25 -0800 (PST)
        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com<new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 25, 2013
          I've made a couple of batches of mead (concurrently) and both never got good because the pears my wife wanted to include just had a bad taste. The really good part of the story is that potstilled, nuclear-oaked distilled mead (even bad mead) is wonderful. It's not a whiskey, but all my Scotch- and bourbon-sipping friends love it on the rocks. Feel free to screw up the mead and save it with the still. You won't be disappointed.

          I call it bee whiskey.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: marcornantel@...
          Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 00:07:29 +0000

          That's why you make triple batches, and hide shit!

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 25, 2013

            Best spiced mead I ever made: Joe’s Ancient Orange Mead

            http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/joes-ancient-orange-mead-49106/

            Make a batch, then wait a week and make another. I just skipped the single gallon batches and went all out on 5 gallon batches. It’s a crowd pleaser and is usually ready to drink at about 5 months. After three months the pith of the oranges starts to fade.

            To get rid of the pith altogether, zest the oranges and squeeze the juice in to the honey and water. (needed to use bentonite to clarify it)

            Try a batch of 1 gallon size with a clove in it before you try it with a bigger batch. 1 clove worked for all 5 gallons of my JAOM, but ya gotta like clove.

            I know it says in the recipe to  not mess with it, but I had to take a hydrometer reading for O.G., I couldn’t help myself. Bread yeast will get you up to 14% easily if the conditions are right (pH, Temp, Food, Nutrient). I hit that just fine, and it was very sweet.

            It does clarify after a couple of months… might be a function of the pith with the regular recipe. All the oranges, cinnamon, clove, raisins and yeast dropped out of solution and flocculated perfectly.

            I might have to make a run of this. It’s tasty now, I can’t imagine how awesome it would be at a much higher ABV.

            Never boil your honey. You lose all the goody, aromas, floral scents. Keep it below 130 to keep the goody.

            To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            From: marcornantel@...
            Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 00:07:29 +0000

            That's why you make triple batches, and hide shit!

            From: White Bear <sha_man_1@...>

            Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:33:25 -0800 (PST)

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 25, 2013

              Does this produce a sweet beverage when it's finished ?

              ---In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

              Here's one that I used and it is pretty good.  Check out WAY down on the bottom of this page, (still don't like what yahoo is doing).
              WB

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 26, 2013
                Try these simple mead recipes. Make sure the honey does not have anything added to it. Filtered honey is fine, just no added chemicals. I got mine at Sam's club.
                Dry Mead
                • 12 lbs. of Honey (4 qts)
                • 4 gallons of spring water
                • 5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
                • 5 teaspoons of yeast energizer
                • 2 packets of Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast (or a suitable replacement)

                Medium Mead
                • 15 lbs of Honey (5 qts)
                • 4 gallons of spring water
                • 5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
                • 5 teaspoons of yeast energizer
                • 2 packets of Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast (or suitable replacement)
                Sweet Mead
                • 18 lbs of Honey (6 qts)
                • 4 gallons of spring water
                • 2 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
                • 2 teaspoons of yeast energizer

                To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                From: marcornantel@...
                Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 00:07:29 +0000

                That's why you make triple batches, and hide shit!
                From: White Bear <sha_man_1@...>
                Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:33:25 -0800 (PST)

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 26, 2013

                   I was curious about mead and bought a kit to make 5 gallons. When it was done, I didn't really like it, so just stuck it in a Corny key in the corner of my cool garage and forgot about it…for 15 years!

                  So a few months ago when I started distilling, it occurred to me to try distilling the mead. I was surprised to discover the keg still had some CO2 pressure in it and the mead was "sparkling". And it tasted pretty good!

                  I distilled it and it's currently aging on oak. I actually think it's going to be uniquely great. Wish I had more of it. But I can't wait another 15 years!

                  To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  From: marcornantel@...
                  Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 00:07:29 +0000

                  That's why you make triple batches, and hide shit!
                  From: White Bear <sha_man_1@...>
                  Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:33:25 -0800 (PST)

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 26, 2013
                    Hello,
                                      When you say yeast energizer, are you referring to DAP?
                    Is a suitable replacement yeast a Lalvin D47 or 1118?

                    To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    From: marcornantel@...
                    Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 00:07:29 +0000

                    That's why you make triple batches, and hide shit!
                    From: White Bear <sha_man_1@...>
                    Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:33:25 -0800 (PST)

                      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                      From: marcornantel@...
                      Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 00:07:29 +0000

                      That's why you make triple batches, and hide shit!
                      From: White Bear <sha_man_1@...>
                      Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:33:25 -0800 (PST)

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 26, 2013
                        No. Yeast "nutrient" is basically pure DAP though sometimes it has other nitrogen sources like the youngs brand stuff in UK.

                        Yeast "energizer" would be like Fermaidk which does have some DAP but also yeast hulls, thiamin and other micro-nutrients.

                        The "nutrient" is usually like small white crystals like table sugar whereas the "energizer" is a tan/beige colored powder.

                        Of the two, the energizer is the more important.

                        DAP provides 200 ppm per gram per liter nitrogen and fermaidk 130 ppm per gram per liter, but the H2S/rotten egg smell from under nourished yeast is more about the lack of thiamin/vitamin B1 (from an article in Zymurgy magazine by mead legend Ken Schramm).

                        As for a yeast that is far superior in meads (especially traditionals)  instead of EC-1118 ? That would be K1-V1116. Its also an 18% yeast but has many other properties that are superior to 1118 ......

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 27, 2013
                          Honey
                          Water to make SG around 1.070
                          Lavlin 22 yeast