High Initial Gravity Question - REAL HIGH~

  • jmhagerman
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2013
      I like to lurk and learn and this has worked for me real well the past year. But, I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for and perhaps it's because of the crazy way Yahoo Groups work so I will ask it here with the hopes I get some direction.

      Can a initial specific gravity be too high? In other words, lets say a wort has an OG of 1.105? Would that still be fermentable with say, 3 packets of EC-1118 per 6 gallon batch or it the OG simply too high for the yeast to work?

      And this leads me to my next question; if it is too high to work, would simply reducing the OG by adding boiled-then-cooled water kick the yeast into gear or would new yeast need to be added?

      Asking for a friend!
    • RLB
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2013
        You would have to share your formula with us because there are formulas conditions that will give an error reading when you check them.  For instantce, corn and other grains in a wort will produce an error (high) reading.  If you read homedistiller.org, you would known the answer to this question.

        Why are you using 3 packs of EC-1118?  I use one pack and grow it in plastic cups while waiting for wash to cool down.  A stir plate is on my wish list.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2013
          1.  Too high gravity will kill yeast.
          2.  You can't just add more yeast, they will be dead, or at least too sick to want around.
          3.  Water it down before pitching yeast works fine.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2013

            Thanks, Zapata Vive! I will water down and march ahead.

            In answer to your questions/comments RLB, I guess I should clarify. This is a agave nectar wash, no grains, that read an initial SG of 1.105 with a hydrometer. Why I used 3 packets of EC-1118 is because the person who developed this recipe recommended that amount, I just followed his directions.

            Regards and thanks for your help!