Anyone else have the mile hi traditional pot still with the 1500 watt internal heating element?

  • thecerealfactory
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2013
      I'll be distilling my first bourbon wash (5 gallons) this weekend and I know to go slow, but beyond the clean-out run I did with water (which I impatiently ran on high!)  I've got no experience with this heating element and would welcome anyone to share their experiences with this unit if you've used it before.  Set the dial at 2?  3?  5?

      Bonus points should be awarded to the designer of this heating element beacause it goes to 11!
    • johnsmith24668
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2013

        I do. Relative newbie as well, I've done maybe 10 runs or so,

        I'm not sure it matters -- I think the the element is either all on or all off. It doesn't seem to work like a rheostat.

        Until/if I get around to building a controller, I leave it on 11 for a strip. For a spirit run, I've left it around 6 -- seems to run as fast as when it's cranked, but I guess I'm being optimistic? I have had it toggle off as the run gets into tails.

        For the time being I'm not overly concerned about building a controller. It appeals to my sense of control (ha!), but as it is the still tends to operate at a steady stream when it's in the middle of a run, a bit faster than needed to keep a stream, maybe a bit smaller in diameter than the plastic bit inside a cheapy pen.

        ---In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, <thecerealfactory@...> wrote:

        I'll be distilling my first bourbon wash (5 gallons) this weekend and I know to go slow, but beyond the clean-out run I did with water (which I impatiently ran on high!)  I've got no experience with this heating element and would welcome anyone to share their experiences with this unit if you've used it before.  Set the dial at 2?  3?  5?

        Bonus points should be awarded to the designer of this heating element beacause it goes to 11!
      • Brian McGill

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2013

             Started out with with MUM -- if memory serves, I stripped three or four 5g washes, then ran them two or three more times based on Mason's procedure somewhere along the way. I got a little over 750mL after watering down, which I thought may be a bit low, but when I asked here I was told it looked like my cuts where about right.

            I'm not a huge vodka fan, but it was decent. I thought it was still a bit sweet, but I'm not sure if that's my tap water. It seemed more viscous and less grain-clean than a bottle of Kettle One I picked ups somewhere along the way, but much smoother with less bite than a Polish brand which I also have which enjoys a good reputation.

            I've moved over to Pugirum. I've stripped six 5g washes, and am about to do spirit runs. Sneaking bits out of the hearts of the strip, and it's very good! Prominent molasses and funk, just what I was going for. The last one puked on me a bit, and when I took a first shot at a spirit run I had about 3g of new wash and 3g of low wines, and that puked right at the start as well. So I shut down, drew off 2g and will try again with 4g. It's hard for me to tell, but I think the last strip and the wash I'm using in the spirit run may not have fermented out completely as the temperature has dropped and yeast aren't happy. Either that, or I've used the dunder over enough that the pH is off.

            Next plan is maybe UJSSM, or more rum. I think I'm going to have to figure out how to keep the fermenting buckets warm, though...

            ---In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, <bmcgill930@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Chris Davis