new distiller needing info/equipment

  • Chris Davis
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 11, 2013
      Hello,

           I am a brand new distiller and have read in-depth info on distilling but it is so "scientific" and confusing.  I have a reflux still (can be made a pot still as well) and need to know so good "understandable" recipes and the equipment needed to make the mash (i.e. airtight fermenting container, airlock, etc...).  What are the other items I need to get started and learn how to distill in a basic manner.  Thanks.
    • RLB
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2013
        read www.homedistiller.org

        Simple recipes:

        Water, Sugar, DAP, yeast = Will make a fair vodka.

        Water, corn, DAP, yeast = Will make a fair whiskey or vodka.

        Water, corn, barley, DAP, yeast = Will make a fair bourbon.  Some people add rye to spice up bourbon.  A bourbon must have 51% + corn.

        Water, corn, barley, rye, DAP, yeast = Will make a fair Scotch whiskey, but by law you can't call it Scotch unless its made in Scotland.

        You can also use oats, wheat, and other grains to change flavor profile.

        Play with grains to find a grain that you like.

             I am a brand new distiller and have read in-depth info on distilling but it is so "scientific" and confusing.  I have a reflux still (can be made a pot still as well) and need to know so good "understandable" recipes and the equipment needed to make the mash (i.e. airtight fermenting container, airlock, etc...).  What are the other items I need to get started and learn how to distill in a basic manner.  Thanks.

      • Zapata Vive
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 12, 2013
          gotta start somewhere, what do you want to make?  Just pick one product, vodka, whiskey, brandy, etc.

          And how big is your boiler on your still?

          On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM, Chris Davis <worm785@...> wrote:

          Hello,

               I am a brand new distiller and have read in-depth info on distilling but it is so "scientific" and confusing.  I have a reflux still (can be made a pot still as well) and need to know so good "understandable" recipes and the equipment needed to make the mash (i.e. airtight fermenting container, airlock, etc...).  What are the other items I need to get started and learn how to distill in a basic manner.  Thanks.

        • worm785

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 14, 2013

              I use a husky 30 gallon garbage can with a lid to ferment. I am still very new to this hobby, but i have tried several different "beginner" recipes and have found the sweetfeed recipe the absolute easiest. You can find it at homedistiller.org forum under tried and true. There are a bunch of easy recipes there. Just read through some and find one you think is easy. I didn't have much luck with the sugar washes as they kept stalling. I haven't had one sweetfeed wash stall yet and I've done 20 or so of them.

            • RLB
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 14, 2013
                You have made 600 gals of wash!  If you was wise you would not give out information where you have made 60 gals of moonshine.  Bet the feds are looking for you now.

                I use a husky 30 gallon garbage can with a lid to ferment. I am still very new to this hobby, but i have tried several different "beginner" recipes and have found the sweetfeed recipe the absolute easiest. You can find it at homedistiller.org forum under tried and true. There are a bunch of easy recipes there. Just read through some and find one you think is easy. I didn't have much luck with the sugar washes as they kept stalling. I haven't had one sweetfeed wash stall yet and I've done 20 or so of them.

              • M L
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 14, 2013
                  Yup, That's a few runs alright. What yeast ya using ?

                  To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 14, 2013
                    I ordered some Turbo yeast from Mile Hi

                    To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 15, 2013

                      Over several years... Haha, but thanks for the advice. A lot goes into barrels. A lot gets redistilled, etc. Far less than 60 gallons.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 15, 2013

                        Hahaha, noooo. I said I USE a 30 gallon fermenter, not that I make 30 gallons of wash. But I appreciate your concern.