Re: [new_distillers] RE: Re: used barrels sold as planters as a source of oak wood for aging.

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2013
      Did you know that white oak dust can cause nasopharyngeal cancer?
      In my research the main concern is an allergic reaction to dust, bark, leaves, and oils
      within the trunk wood.  Oak is considered to be potent at causing an allergic reaction to
      humans.  No two people have the same reaction to wood, so they suggest caution with all
      wood including oak.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2013
        This post is to cover the info I posted that dissapeared

         I have seen 2 different commercial hardwood mills in operation. Immediatly off the mill, the planks are loaded side by side on a chain conveyer that takes them thru a fungicide bath.

        This is to keep mold and fungi from staining the wood while it sits in stacks, awaiting time to get their tuen in the kiln.

        So you can get untreated wood from one of the many small time sawyers around nowdays. But there may be traces of hydrocarbon still present on the boards because some of the portable mills use kerosine drip to keep the blades from gumming up, and the chainsaw bar also leave some oil residue on the end grains.

        There's a guy on Ebay that sells toasted splits that are hand sawn and hand split, to appease the purists  who wants the assurance of no oil or contaminates at all.

        ---In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, <last2blast@...> wrote:

        Did you know that white oak dust can cause nasopharyngeal cancer?
        In my research the main concern is an allergic reaction to dust, bark, leaves, and oils
        within the trunk wood.  Oak is considered to be potent at causing an allergic reaction to
        humans.  No two people have the same reaction to wood, so they suggest caution with all
        wood including oak.

        >I kinda chuckle when you mentioned using pine for flavoring, are you
        >in for a surprise, pine will do you in!!@!@!! DO NOT USE IT, YOU'LL
        >BE SORRY!!@!@!@!@

        I'm thinking there are some people out there that don't do any
        research to educate themselves before getting very experimental;
        kinda like folks who collect mushrooms without having the foresight
        to do more than read a book instead of taking one of the excellent
        guided mushroom collecting workshops (usually free).
        Ditto on choosing woods for flavoring and maturing their booze.

        Derek

      • Zapata Vive