Oak aging

  • johnsmith24668
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2013
      With the talk of aging in the past few days... I got my hands on some white oak scraps that I'm planning on cutting down to 6" long, 1/2" square sticks.

      I've seen a lot on homedistiller.org about different aging methods but I can't seem to figure out if the cover should be solid e.g. Mason jar metal lids? Or should it be breathble e.g. coffee filters? Is the answer different for distress aging vs. just letting it sit out?

      Thanks!
    • Zapata Vive
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2013
        I say solid lid with periodic airing.  Maybe I'm stingy, but the angel's have plenty of perks without drinking my booze!  All I want from air is a little evaporation of the most volatiles in the beginning, and fresh oxygen to make the oak flavors yummy from time to time.  NO way would I put my beloved spirits under nothing but a coffee filter for more than a few days, maybe a week tops.