Re: [new_distillers] Re: used barrels sold as planters as a source of oak wood for aging.

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 44 , Oct 6, 2013
      You bring up a good point because mold is a big issue, that is why you go to a small mom and pop sawmill.

      Date: Sunday, October 6, 2013, 10:53 AM

      You now
      have some nice sterilized oak sticks that will impart
      nothing to your product. If you boil and sterilize the wood
      you remove the tannins and vanillas that impart the flavor
      to the distillate.
       Instead
      of trying to get something that is locally available and
      unusable, spend the pennies that are required to order
      toasted oak chips, find a local saw mill and ask for
      their white oak scraps or buy a board or two, most wood
      workers have lots of scraps that they will give away. It is
      not that difficult to find usable oak that is safe and
      cheap.  To
      get good aging you need to use virgin oak, Think about
      this "Why do the bourbon distillers only use their
      charred oak barrels once?" The aging process removes
      the
      constituents of the white oak wood that add the flavors to
      the
      distillate.
      From: M L
      <kekedog13@...>
      [new_distillers] Re: used barrels sold as planters as a
      source of oak wood for aging.

      I got a half barrel planter that had been in a
      guys front yard for many years.I used a table saw to cut the
      stave's into 6 " sticks and then cut off 1/4 from
      all sides of each one. Then for an added measure boiled them
      in water for 1/2 hour. The water came out black as coffee,
      from the char that was deep into the wood.Then dried them in
      the sun. I now have a a bucket full of oak sticks to toast,
      char or use as is.

      On Thu, 10/3/13, Paul <sudokuhater-b@...>
      wrote:

      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: used barrels sold as
      planters as a source of oak wood for aging.

      To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com"
      <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Thursday, October 3, 2013, 12:19 PM

      In the final run the only

      thing that matters is the taste that the wood imparts in
      the

      spirit.

    • Rick Wrightson
      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 16, 2013
        Here, here for fatbloke...couldn't have said it any better...

        On Oct 16, 2013, at 12:16 AM, fatbloke <fatbloke@...> wrote:

        Oh dear......

        Is that someone else who can't equate the difference between trying to convey intent or attitude from text and how the same words might "come across" in person per chance ?

        ZBob generally offers insightful and helpful/good guidance - I certainly don't see anything offensive or unhelpful with the replies on this......

        I certainly don't agree with all the points made,
        but others who discern some sort of hidden inference must be more intuitive than me...

        In any case, the bourbon makers aren't the only place that supplies single used/"almost" new barrels are they.

        Equally, some do indeed use charring, there's a number of Scottish located cooperages who just remove the barrel head, scrape the "used charring" and then reburn, before refitting heads to seal.

        As for others alluding to "starting anew " ? Perhaps they don't realise the point of using barrel oak because it is already proven to be of cooperage quality and more likely to provide a known type of flavouring - whereas anything just obtained from a lumber yard ? Is it "right" ? etc.....

        I'm sorry to see someone "throw their toys out of their cot" because they're reading and seeing something that's likely not there......

        But hey? membership of the list is voluntary/individual choice.....

        Keep up tbe good advice and guidance ZBod, I for one, find it useful and don't "over read" it.....

        There's more than one way of skinning a cat, as you rightly point out......