Re: [new_distillers] Re: used barrels sold as planters as a source of oak wood for aging.

  • M L
    Message 1 of 44 , Oct 3, 2013
      I got a half barrel planter that had been in a guys front yard for many years.I used a table saw to cut the stave's into 6 " sticks and then cut off 1/4 from all sides of each one. Then for an added measure boiled them in water for 1/2 hour. The water came out black as coffee, from the char that was deep into the wood.Then dried them in the sun. I now have a a bucket full of oak sticks to toast, char or use as is.

      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: used barrels sold as planters as a source of oak wood for aging.
      To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, October 3, 2013, 12:19 PM

      In the final run the only
      thing that matters is the taste that the wood imparts in the
      spirit.
    • Rick Wrightson
      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 16, 2013
        Here, here for fatbloke...couldn't have said it any better...

        On Oct 16, 2013, at 12:16 AM, fatbloke <fatbloke@...> wrote:

        Oh dear......

        Is that someone else who can't equate the difference between trying to convey intent or attitude from text and how the same words might "come across" in person per chance ?

        ZBob generally offers insightful and helpful/good guidance - I certainly don't see anything offensive or unhelpful with the replies on this......

        I certainly don't agree with all the points made,
        but others who discern some sort of hidden inference must be more intuitive than me...

        In any case, the bourbon makers aren't the only place that supplies single used/"almost" new barrels are they.

        Equally, some do indeed use charring, there's a number of Scottish located cooperages who just remove the barrel head, scrape the "used charring" and then reburn, before refitting heads to seal.

        As for others alluding to "starting anew " ? Perhaps they don't realise the point of using barrel oak because it is already proven to be of cooperage quality and more likely to provide a known type of flavouring - whereas anything just obtained from a lumber yard ? Is it "right" ? etc.....

        I'm sorry to see someone "throw their toys out of their cot" because they're reading and seeing something that's likely not there......

        But hey? membership of the list is voluntary/individual choice.....

        Keep up tbe good advice and guidance ZBod, I for one, find it useful and don't "over read" it.....

        There's more than one way of skinning a cat, as you rightly point out......