Re: [new_distillers] Re: used barrels sold as planters as a source of oak wood for aging.

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 44 , Oct 2 5:39 PM

      I was being sarcastic when it comes to worrying about bacteria in a used oak barrels or on oak barrel staves placed in a container.  The oak toasting process would kill all bacteria, and no bacteria I ever heard of can survive in alcohol with an ABV of 40 +.  If you are worried about bacteria tainting spirits, why not rinse off oak wood, or rinse out the barrel with tail before adding your spirit.

      You misunderstood my point: Once you have a high level (abv) spirit, that spirit will kill any and all bacteria.  If you read up on that bacteria, I think that you will find that it can't survive in 20% abv spirits.  I was the one who suggested that everyone take the time to learn how to make vinegar, so they will know what not to do while making spirits.

      I still have wash that I have not processed (6 months old), and it still has not turned to vinegar because it is kept in air tight containers.

      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 16 5:16 AM
        Here, here for fatbloke...couldn't have said it any better...

        On Oct 16, 2013, at 12:16 AM, fatbloke <fatbloke@...> wrote:

        Oh dear......

        Is that someone else who can't equate the difference between trying to convey intent or attitude from text and how the same words might "come across" in person per chance ?

        ZBob generally offers insightful and helpful/good guidance - I certainly don't see anything offensive or unhelpful with the replies on this......

        I certainly don't agree with all the points made,
        but others who discern some sort of hidden inference must be more intuitive than me...

        In any case, the bourbon makers aren't the only place that supplies single used/"almost" new barrels are they.

        Equally, some do indeed use charring, there's a number of Scottish located cooperages who just remove the barrel head, scrape the "used charring" and then reburn, before refitting heads to seal.

        As for others alluding to "starting anew " ? Perhaps they don't realise the point of using barrel oak because it is already proven to be of cooperage quality and more likely to provide a known type of flavouring - whereas anything just obtained from a lumber yard ? Is it "right" ? etc.....

        I'm sorry to see someone "throw their toys out of their cot" because they're reading and seeing something that's likely not there......

        But hey? membership of the list is voluntary/individual choice.....

        Keep up tbe good advice and guidance ZBod, I for one, find it useful and don't "over read" it.....

        There's more than one way of skinning a cat, as you rightly point out......