Re: used barrels sold as planters as a source of oak wood for aging.

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 44 , Oct 2, 2013
      Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it.  I do think I was ready to abandon that 1/2 barrel, now maybe I'll plane some of those staves down, re-char them and see if what I am left with still reeks of vinegar when left in a hot car!  And let's just say it still does, am I reading what was being said correctly and that the Acetobacter wouldn't be able to impart off flavors in aging whiskey (above 40% abv)?  Interesting!  -Jason

    • Rick Wrightson
      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 16, 2013
        Here, here for fatbloke...couldn't have said it any better...

        On Oct 16, 2013, at 12:16 AM, fatbloke <fatbloke@...> wrote:

        Oh dear......

        Is that someone else who can't equate the difference between trying to convey intent or attitude from text and how the same words might "come across" in person per chance ?

        ZBob generally offers insightful and helpful/good guidance - I certainly don't see anything offensive or unhelpful with the replies on this......

        I certainly don't agree with all the points made,
        but others who discern some sort of hidden inference must be more intuitive than me...

        In any case, the bourbon makers aren't the only place that supplies single used/"almost" new barrels are they.

        Equally, some do indeed use charring, there's a number of Scottish located cooperages who just remove the barrel head, scrape the "used charring" and then reburn, before refitting heads to seal.

        As for others alluding to "starting anew " ? Perhaps they don't realise the point of using barrel oak because it is already proven to be of cooperage quality and more likely to provide a known type of flavouring - whereas anything just obtained from a lumber yard ? Is it "right" ? etc.....

        I'm sorry to see someone "throw their toys out of their cot" because they're reading and seeing something that's likely not there......

        But hey? membership of the list is voluntary/individual choice.....

        Keep up tbe good advice and guidance ZBod, I for one, find it useful and don't "over read" it.....

        There's more than one way of skinning a cat, as you rightly point out......