Re: [new_distillers] used barrels sold as planters as a source of oak wood for aging...

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013
      "bacteria survive in 40 abv + ethanol."

      Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that 40% spirits in the bottle or cask go sour, so this statement appears to be misleading. Anyway, vinegar formation requires the presence of oxygen. As for wort or wash, we are not talking about this, but about ageing spirits.

      I was just trying to say that the sawn-up barrel might still be good and not to give up on it too soon.

      Paul
    • Charles
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2013
        Hello! My name is Charles (Chuck), from NE PA, and I am fairly new to this list, so forgive me if I'm asking a question that has already been answered.

        OK, I am an admitted newbie - a VERY newbie.

        My question: My father has celiac disease. He cannot tolerate gluten. So I'm looking for a fairly easy, gluten free corn whiskey recipe.

        Many recipes I've found use barley; which has gluten.

        I know that I could just make sugar-shine, but he'd prefer corn whiskey....

        I have the "Uncle Jesse recipe", and I have easy access to cracked corn - but I was hoping for maybe some personal experiences before I start....?

        Any info with some personal experience would be appreciated...

        Chuck F.
        NE PA
        μολὼν λαβέ
      • RLB
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 14, 2013
          Use a reflux or a fractional still and strip it of everything (oils and fuesals) when you are done stripping it then place it into glass jars with charred oak.  When its ready add distilled water to bring down its proof for drinking.  You can do the same thing with a pot still, but it will take three runs to do what a reflux can do in one.

          You could make your wash out of sugar.  I think buckwheat (or one of those grains) is gluten free, so make whiskey out of buckwheat or that other gluten free grain.

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 14, 2013
            Message
            And how is gluten, a protein, supposed to carry over in the distillation process?

            --

            BK

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 15, 2013
                As a celiac myself I've put a fair bit of effort into making my own safe products.
                I've found that when you triple distill you can produce a safe and very tasty product.
                Incidentally a fair few of the commercial whiskeys are good to go for the same reasons.
                but your milage may vary.

                Corn is good to use; and as mentioned Sorghum, Rice, Buckwheat and loads of other grains.

                Wheat, and Rye, Barley contains the bad stuff,
                and some wheat derivatives as well.

                You can use GF beer recipes to get an idea of what can be used. most will need some help getting the alcohol up to be worth the time puttin in the pot.

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 15, 2013
                  Earlier this year I was at a.... I don't really know what to call it being that it can't be called by name.  A small private festival?  Maybe a huge weeklong party?  It's an annual thing thats been going on in the woods for decades.  Being in the woods, lots of people get bitten by ticks, a good portion of these people have had to deal with Lymes disease over the years.

                  Anyway a couple thousand people, and probably a couple thousand jars of shine.  One person I met had Lymes so bad to have lost some major joints.  Anyway, in all of this they developed a severe reaction to gluten.  After strictly eliminating all gluten, shine was still found to trigger it.  Special gluten free shine didn't trigger it.

                  I was personally suspect that gluten would possibly carry over into well made shine, but such was the testimony, and I can vouch for the quality of the shine, this was no commercial rotgut, it's the kind of event you bring your best to show off.

                  Unfortunately the person with the gluten intolerance wasn't the gluten free shiner, and it's incredibly difficult at this event to maintain enough focus to find any one specific person wandering around in the woods in the state we do, alas I was not able to get first hand info on the gluten free shine.

                  The point of it all is to tell Chuck that it can be and has been done.
                  As I told the guy in the woods, neutral made from sugar wash, and aged on oak would do it, though it certainly isn't the white dog grain whiskey preferred in my area.

                  I think corn in and of itself should be gluten free.  So I suspect the problem is that most shiners use feed grade corn that is not protected from cross contamination.  IE running on a conveyor belt that previously had wheat on it.  I'd be sure that any grain you use be labled as coming from a gluten free facility, though that will likely increase your cost substantially over feed grade grains.
                • Blackhat-Whitedog
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 15, 2013
                    the great thing about Uncle Jesse's recipe is that it separates the flavor making from the alcohol making, the alcohol comes from the sugar the yeast get to eat, and the grains add their flavor as they slush around in the alcohol...or maybe the acid levels that build up dissolve it out (the flavor gets better as the grains get used again the 2nd, 3rd, 4th batches but then the acid levels build up to interfere with the yeast so its a battle)

                    so you get the ease of the sugar shine and dad gets the flavor a nice corn whisky

                    I believe shiners call it a thin wash

                    ******

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 16, 2013
                        I looked around and found the following about corn and gluten:

                        "Although corn, like wheat, rye and barley, does have a protein content it does not cause harmful effects to the intestines of someone with celiac disease.
                        Therefore it is considered safe for celiacs to eat from a gluten perspective. However, many celiacs can have an intolerance to corn, so it is best not to rely on it too heavily as a substitute for wheat flour."

[...]

                        Slainté
                        Rick Wrightson
                        e: rick@...