need advise...

  • bubb4244
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 12, 2013
      i want to make some apple brandy. im told adding sugar will make it harsh... plan to add yeast only, let it work and distill... right???
      thanks
    • Jim Graves
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 16, 2013
        You certainly won't get much production, not a lot of sugar in apples, you can try corn sugar, it does not leave the harsh bite that cane sugar does.  I use it for making beer and it works good.

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 16, 2013
          thanks, ill try that..

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

          > You certainly won't get much production, not a lot of sugar in apples, you can try corn sugar, it does not leave the harsh bite that cane sugar does.  I use it for making beer and it works good.

          > ________________________________

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
            According to information I have collected, apples have 24% sugar.  To increase apple sugar levels, you only need to concentrate apple pulp by removing water.  Freeze dry 4 times the apples you would normally use, crush them into small pieces, and then re-hydrate them with distilled water would give you 94% apple sugar to use in your batch for brandy.  94% apple sugar in a single batch should produce a wonderful apple brandy.  If you have the ability, you could go further by using filters to wash and separate pulp in the same way you would do when making beer.

            I am sure that 24% sugar is just an average, so there are apples with much higher sugar content than 24%.

            You certainly won't get much production, not a lot of sugar in apples, you can try corn sugar, it does not leave the harsh bite that cane sugar does.  I use it for making beer and it works good.

            i want to make some apple brandy. im told adding sugar will make it harsh... plan to add yeast only, let it work and distill... right???
            thanks

          • ballard_bootlegger
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
              Apple brandy is great! There is plenty of sugar in apples to make it worth your while, but if you want a little more liquor and less crushing I'd recommend using dextrose, sugar cane juice, or panella (dehydrated cane juice). These all have some good fruity qualities that will complement the apples nicely.
            • Zapata Vive
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
                Ive read a lot of people using frozen apple juice concentrate to up the sugar concentration while raising apple flavor.

                On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

                You certainly won't get much production, not a lot of sugar in apples, you can try corn sugar, it does not leave the harsh bite that cane sugar does.  I use it for making beer and it works good.

                i want to make some apple brandy. im told adding sugar will make it harsh... plan to add yeast only, let it work and distill... right???
                thanks

              • Bubbas55
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
                  thank you very much... i knew i had read/heard of distilled apple cider making a good brandy but being a newbi... i will try to find one of your recomendations..
                  tx ron

                  Apple brandy is great! There is plenty of sugar in apples to make it worth your while, but if you want a little more liquor and less crushing I'd recommend using dextrose, sugar cane juice, or panella (dehydrated cane juice). These all have some good fruity qualities that will complement the apples nicely.
                • waljaco
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 19, 2013
                    Apples have 10% sugar content. Grapes have 24%.

                    wal

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 19, 2013
                      My secondary information search revealed that apples have 11% to 15% sugar, which is only a 5% to 9% difference in my initial 20% findings of apple sugar.  I am a fan of concentrating sugar, so you do a little extra work and you increase apple sugar in your wash.  That is a true apple Brandy!  Adding sugar or corn syrup to a wash is nothing but a cheap apple brandy knock off.  We should be artisans of our hobby rather than cheap moonshines attempting to only produce alcohol.