[new_distillers] thumper qustion

  • C.L.Brett
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 11, 2013
      any chance to see a photo or sketch of the tubing etc

      CLB

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 11, 2013
        Read www.homedistiller.org.  They offer a world of info for new distillers.

        In short, a thumper is a second (smaller) pot still that is heated by its own distillate vapors.  A thumper can be use to change flavor profile and increase ABV at the same time.

        From: big mike
        <micael1802@...>
        I have a pot still I want to add a thumper to it my pot is a
        15 gal beer keg any way will a 5 gal or a 2 gal plastic
        bucket work and be ok

      • matt_hammond2003
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 12, 2013
          Hi this is matt, its all in the abv of the beer/wort/wash that u start with. I get 155 proof with no thumper on the first run after the beer stripper run, I think I start with a wash that is around 15-17% abv I need to get a refractor meter and finalize the science of my recipe
        • M L
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 12, 2013
            Ya put water or wash on it. The steam from the boiling kettle, heats it to boiling and then on to the condenser having been distilled twice.

            To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 3:57 AM

            wrote:

            To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com"
            <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>

            From: big mike

            <micael1802@...>

            new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
              What is the effect of the height and/or volume of the liquid in the thumper?  Is there greater reflux with greater height, or does it just take longer to heat up the volume of liquid before the vapor will recondense?

              Chris

              On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 1:28 AM, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

              Ya put water or wash on it. The steam from the boiling kettle, heats it to boiling and then on to the condenser having been distilled twice.

            • RLB

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 17, 2013
                  I'm guessing the fourth type is vacuum.  I ain't skerred to say it.  Vacuum.
                  /ducks just in case...

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
                    Keep an eye on E-bay.  Will be selling water purification pressure cooker pot stills (wink), thumpers, and air cooled condensers on E-bay and my new up coming web site.  They are simple to build, and you will know how to build one with just one glance.  Just a lot of soldering 14 joints in one design and 18 joints in the other design.

                    any chance to see a photo or sketch of the tubing etc

                    CLB

                    Why not use copper pipe as a thumper?  My thumper is made out of 1/2" copper tubbing. A length of tubing, 90 degree elbow going down, 3 inch copper tubing vertical, a 90 degree elbow, 2" horizontal tubing, a "T" fitting with a 4" vertical tubing on top with a threaded cap.  A 2" tubing exiting the "T" horizontal. 90 degree elbow, 3" vertical tubing, an elbow, and a length of copper tubing.  Connect the thumper in line using unions, and fill thumper by unscrewing filler cap.  Place a few inches of water or tails into thumper.

                    It operates just like a large thumper, but it heats up fast and producing higher proof alcohol.  One draw back to this design is that it does provide a great deal of space for solids.  Wash needs to be solids free to prevent clogging.

                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
                      Give us the post to the web site when it's up

                      Sent from my iPhone