[new_distillers] thumper qustion

  • C.L.Brett
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 11, 2013
      any chance to see a photo or sketch of the tubing etc

      CLB

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 11, 2013
        Read www.homedistiller.org.  They offer a world of info for new distillers.

        In short, a thumper is a second (smaller) pot still that is heated by its own distillate vapors.  A thumper can be use to change flavor profile and increase ABV at the same time.

        From: big mike
        <micael1802@...>
        I have a pot still I want to add a thumper to it my pot is a
        15 gal beer keg any way will a 5 gal or a 2 gal plastic
        bucket work and be ok

      • knight_32569
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 12, 2013
          Big Mike,Honestly a jelly jar would work. I use one on my pot still with no issues. It took me a little R&D to get it figured out where to have it, how to mount it...you get the idea. I know pot stills are of the same concept but different designs, if yer interested in the jelly jar hit me up and I'll help you all I can, depending on what I'm running it's nothin to get anywhere from 160 to 180 with it on the third run.Hoss "Live from the Ozarks, it's a transplanted Hillbilly!"
        • matt_hammond2003
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 12, 2013
            Hi this is matt, its all in the abv of the beer/wort/wash that u start with. I get 155 proof with no thumper on the first run after the beer stripper run, I think I start with a wash that is around 15-17% abv I need to get a refractor meter and finalize the science of my recipe
          • Brian McGill
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 12, 2013
              Hoss...can you post a picture of the jelly jar setup?

              Brian

              --
              Brian J. McGill
            • M L
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 12, 2013
                Glass is a no-no. If it were to break, BOOM, your on fire. Mine is a stainless steel flour canister., seal with flour dough.--------------------------------------------

                To: "new distillers" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 6:58 PM

                Stainless,
                copper or glass.

                From: "Zapata
                Vive" <zapatavive@...>
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 12, 2013
                  Ya put water or wash on it. The steam from the boiling kettle, heats it to boiling and then on to the condenser having been distilled twice.

                  To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                  Date: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 3:57 AM

                  wrote:

                  To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com"
                  <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>

                  From: big mike

                  <micael1802@...>

                  new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
                    What is the effect of the height and/or volume of the liquid in the thumper?  Is there greater reflux with greater height, or does it just take longer to heat up the volume of liquid before the vapor will recondense?

                    Chris

                    On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 1:28 AM, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                    Ya put water or wash on it. The steam from the boiling kettle, heats it to boiling and then on to the condenser having been distilled twice.

                  • RLB
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 14, 2013
                      You really need to read www.homedistiller.org.  You are mixing up the function of pot stills and reflex stills.  Just so you know there are 4 different types of basic stills: pot, reflux, and fractional.  These 3 still types are normally used by large producers, moonshiners, home distillers, and artisans distillers.  The forth still type isn't used in the distillation of alcohol at this time.  I will not state what this forth type of still is because it did not go over well the first time I mentioned it in this forum.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 17, 2013
                        I'm guessing the fourth type is vacuum.  I ain't skerred to say it.  Vacuum.
                        /ducks just in case...

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
                          Keep an eye on E-bay.  Will be selling water purification pressure cooker pot stills (wink), thumpers, and air cooled condensers on E-bay and my new up coming web site.  They are simple to build, and you will know how to build one with just one glance.  Just a lot of soldering 14 joints in one design and 18 joints in the other design.

                          any chance to see a photo or sketch of the tubing etc

                          CLB

                          Why not use copper pipe as a thumper?  My thumper is made out of 1/2" copper tubbing. A length of tubing, 90 degree elbow going down, 3 inch copper tubing vertical, a 90 degree elbow, 2" horizontal tubing, a "T" fitting with a 4" vertical tubing on top with a threaded cap.  A 2" tubing exiting the "T" horizontal. 90 degree elbow, 3" vertical tubing, an elbow, and a length of copper tubing.  Connect the thumper in line using unions, and fill thumper by unscrewing filler cap.  Place a few inches of water or tails into thumper.

                          It operates just like a large thumper, but it heats up fast and producing higher proof alcohol.  One draw back to this design is that it does provide a great deal of space for solids.  Wash needs to be solids free to prevent clogging.

                        • Evan
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
                            Give us the post to the web site when it's up

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
                              Will do