Re: [new_distillers] thumper qustion

  • akjones1966
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 10, 2013
      Stainless, copper or glass.

      From: "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...>
      To: "new distillers" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, September 9, 2013 1:05:47 AM
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] thumper qustion

      I sure wouldn't use plastic.  And I'm not just a plastic phobe.  I see nothing wrong with using the right plastic for the right job, but I don't think a plastic bucket is the right tool for hot, high proof alcohol.  I'd go with glass or stainless.

      On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM, big mike <micael1802@...> wrote:

      I have a pot still I want to add a thumper to it my pot is a 15 gal beer keg any way will a 5 gal or a 2 gal plastic bucket work and be ok

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 11, 2013
        How do thumpers work?

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Sep 10, 2013, at 1:31 PM, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

        Id like to see a picture of that .

        To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Sunday, September 8, 2013, 10:39 PM

        Why not use copper pipe as
        a thumper?  My thumper is made out of
        1/2" copper tubbing. A length of
        tubing, 90 degree elbow going down, 3 inch copper tubing
        vertical, a 90 degree elbow, 2" horizontal tubing, a "T"
        fitting with a 4" vertical tubing on top with a
        threaded cap.  A 2" tubing exiting the
        "T" horizontal. 90 degree elbow,
        3" vertical tubing, an elbow, and a length of copper
        tubing.  Connect the thumper in line using
        unions, and fill thumper by unscrewing
        filler cap.  Place a few inches
        of water or tails into thumper.
        It operates
        just like a large thumper, but it heats up
        fast and producing higher proof alcohol.  One draw back
        to this design is that it does provide a great deal of space
        for solids.  Wash needs to be solids free to prevent
        clogging.

        From: big mike
        <micael1802@...>
        I have a pot still I want to add a thumper to it my pot is a
        15 gal beer keg any way will a 5 gal or a 2 gal plastic
        bucket work and be ok

      • C.L.Brett
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 11, 2013
          any chance to see a photo or sketch of the tubing etc

          CLB

[...]

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 11, 2013
            Read www.homedistiller.org.  They offer a world of info for new distillers.

            In short, a thumper is a second (smaller) pot still that is heated by its own distillate vapors.  A thumper can be use to change flavor profile and increase ABV at the same time.

            From: big mike
            <micael1802@...>
            I have a pot still I want to add a thumper to it my pot is a
            15 gal beer keg any way will a 5 gal or a 2 gal plastic
            bucket work and be ok

          • knight_32569
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 12, 2013
              Big Mike,Honestly a jelly jar would work. I use one on my pot still with no issues. It took me a little R&D to get it figured out where to have it, how to mount it...you get the idea. I know pot stills are of the same concept but different designs, if yer interested in the jelly jar hit me up and I'll help you all I can, depending on what I'm running it's nothin to get anywhere from 160 to 180 with it on the third run.Hoss "Live from the Ozarks, it's a transplanted Hillbilly!"
            • matt_hammond2003
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 12, 2013
                Hi this is matt, its all in the abv of the beer/wort/wash that u start with. I get 155 proof with no thumper on the first run after the beer stripper run, I think I start with a wash that is around 15-17% abv I need to get a refractor meter and finalize the science of my recipe
              • Brian McGill
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 12, 2013
                  Hoss...can you post a picture of the jelly jar setup?

                  Brian

                  --
                  Brian J. McGill
                • M L
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 12, 2013
                    Glass is a no-no. If it were to break, BOOM, your on fire. Mine is a stainless steel flour canister., seal with flour dough.--------------------------------------------

                    To: "new distillers" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                    Date: Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 6:58 PM

                    Stainless,
                    copper or glass.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 12, 2013
                      Ya put water or wash on it. The steam from the boiling kettle, heats it to boiling and then on to the condenser having been distilled twice.

                      To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                      Date: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 3:57 AM

                      wrote:

                      To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com"
                      <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>

                      From: big mike

                      <micael1802@...>

                      new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
                        What is the effect of the height and/or volume of the liquid in the thumper?  Is there greater reflux with greater height, or does it just take longer to heat up the volume of liquid before the vapor will recondense?

                        Chris

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 14, 2013
                          You really need to read www.homedistiller.org.  You are mixing up the function of pot stills and reflex stills.  Just so you know there are 4 different types of basic stills: pot, reflux, and fractional.  These 3 still types are normally used by large producers, moonshiners, home distillers, and artisans distillers.  The forth still type isn't used in the distillation of alcohol at this time.  I will not state what this forth type of still is because it did not go over well the first time I mentioned it in this forum.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 17, 2013
                            I'm guessing the fourth type is vacuum.  I ain't skerred to say it.  Vacuum.
                            /ducks just in case...

                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
                              Keep an eye on E-bay.  Will be selling water purification pressure cooker pot stills (wink), thumpers, and air cooled condensers on E-bay and my new up coming web site.  They are simple to build, and you will know how to build one with just one glance.  Just a lot of soldering 14 joints in one design and 18 joints in the other design.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
                                Give us the post to the web site when it's up

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
                                  Will do