Mini-still operated as a pot still advice?

  • wzuccarello
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2013
      Hello all, I have built and succesfully run the Mini-still.

      Now I have acquired 3 bushels of cooking pears and I would like to make them into cider and then distill it into something like brandy.

       Should I remove the copper packing from the column, or what other methods can I be advised to get pot still results for distilling cider?

      Thanks in advance, Wayne
    • Zapata Vive

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2013

          Hi wzuccarello,

          This new Yahoo crap is doing my head in but I'll try and give you a very short and sharp reply.  The Mini still is very good at doing both neutral spirit and flavored spirit.  I have not distilled cider but I would suggest to strip the cider wash without packing and redistill the low cider wines and make the propper cuts for the finnished produc with out the packing as well.

          With saying that some may say to make the cuts on the first pass?  I can't say as I have not tried cider brandy.

          Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer?

          Cheers

          Marc