Re: [new_distillers] Phone a Friend

  • Alli Bugger
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 4, 2013
      RLB,
      Thanks for your reply - I was beginning to think there was no one out there.  I worked the eastern half of PA for 3 years, from the Susquehanna River to Philadelphia, but that was 20 years ago.  There were spots of poor cell phone service back then, however I suspect it has changed significantly since then. Email is available from many sources today, not just a cable to the back woods.

      I am not dumping on PA, but I am trying to get someone's attention to our cause.  If I hurt their feelings I am sorry.  Is there anyone else but me trying to get the message out to the hobby distillers and to congress?  If there is, I have not seen a single email or post.  If you would like to help, send me the names of the congressmen/senators you sent the proposal to and the date you mailed them so I can add them to the list

      It may be true that there are more meth labs and professional moonshiners in PA then there are hobby distillers.  We have no interst in any of those groups.  They are criminals. I don't believe for one minute there are no hobby distillers in PA that would like to see the law cahnged.  Maybe they have not gotten the message or maybe they just don't care - you never know until you ask and that is all I am doing!  If you have any ideas on how to do a better job at this than I am doing, I would love to here them.

      Alli

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4, 2013
        Have you placed this 26 USC message on www.artisan-distiller.net web site?  How about some of the other distilling forum?  If new_distillers @ yahoo is your only forum, then that is a big obstacle.  As a matter of fact, it would be easier if all of the distilling forums were working together on this issue of getting the laws changed.

        I send a message to my House Representative, so I will have to send the info to our  2 Senators.

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 5, 2013

          I couldn't find a Yahoo group for this hobby. Perhaps there's a local Meetup...

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Many of those new generation moonshiners have turned to Meth labs which are much more profitable.
        • Derek Hamlet
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 5, 2013
            At 08:11 PM 9/4/2013, you wrote:

            >Have you placed this 26 USC message on www.artisan-distiller.net web
            >site? How about some of the other distilling forum? If
            >new_distillers @ yahoo is your only forum, then that is a big
            >obstacle. As a matter of fact, it would be easier if all of the
            >distilling forums were working together on this issue of getting the
            >laws changed.

            I come from a different perspective on this. If we need a political,
            organizational wing to promote distilling, then it needs to be
            totally separate from this site.
            Why?
            Because I believe that this forum provides an opportunity to express
            opinions and facts about the technical aspects of getting from
            ingredients to high quality product and as such provides a forum
            where the politics of this subject do not encroach on our ability to
            freely discuss these things. Bringing in politics dilutes that
            process and draws unnecessary and unwanted attention.

            Do we need a forum where people can discuss, organize, exchange ideas
            about the bizarre laws that seem more than anything else to ensure
            that those with power maintain power; you betcha. I'll be part of
            it and want to work on getting these issues resolved; but not here.

            My email is easily traced; I'm not that paranoid, but if I wanted to
            do I could participate in a site where there is no way to be found;
            assuming that the dogs of law are not wiling to stakeout the public
            library to catch me with my very generic email address.

            Derek
          • Alli Bugger
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 5, 2013
              RLB,
              I been using Brewhausforum.com and New_Distillers.  I was unaware of artisan-distillers. I'll try to find others.  If there is a way to have the same messages go out to all of the different forums at the same time it would save time and get the same message out to everyone.  Good Idea. Thank you.

              Alli

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 5, 2013
                Top comment Derek......

                I'd also like to participate in a similar way, but when you consider how much money is raised from excise duty and other attached taxes in the UK, Norway, Sweden, etc etc.....

                Its a major revenue raiser for them (check out tbe history of US prohibition and you'll appreciate this further).

                While they might earn more from alcohol sales than say US or CA governments, the only country with recent form for changing this kind of rule is, as we're all well aware, is NZ.....

                They seem to have some relatively recent political enlightenment,  which is rather rare among "Western Democracies"......

                So a better place to chat about it etc, is probably, IMO, a fine idea......

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 5, 2013
                  Flatbroke and Derek,
                  Well I am damned if I do and damned if I don't.  We have a speciality site for this project at the Brewhausforum/Legalization thread.  I was simply trying to get the word and updates out to more peole interested in hobby distilling and getting it legalized so they don't have to keep looking over their shoulders.

                  I am sure there are some who would prefer that we take this cause someplace else so it does not clogg up the technical discussions of distilling.  On the other hand, if we all get together and get this this passed, it will go away forever.

                  There is no way that a site can be built that is secure from the federallies if so chose to check it out.  Most folks use a pseudo name and email address.  You obviously aren't paranoid or you would not use your real name. There is no way to take a poll on whether I should use this forum since many people are indeed paranoid and will not communicate with me.

                  BTH, I met with a represenative of VA Senator Warner this afternoon and delivered a copy of our proposal to her.  She promised to get it in the hands of the Senator on Saturday morning and to call me back next week.

                  Still trying,
                  Alli

                  -------- Original message -------- From: Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> Date: 05/09/2013 15:22 (GMT+00:00) To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Phone a Friend
                  At 08:11 PM 9/4/2013, you wrote:

                  >Have you placed this 26 USC message on www.artisan-distiller.net web
                  >site? How about some of the other distilling forum? If
                  >new_distillers @ yahoo is your only forum, then that is a big
                  >obstacle. As a matter of fact, it would be easier if all of the
                  >distilling forums were working together on this issue of getting the
                  >laws changed.

                  I come from a different perspective on this. If we need a political,
                  organizational wing to promote distilling, then it needs to be
                  totally separate from this site.
                  Why?
                  Because I believe that this forum provides an opportunity to express
                  opinions and facts about the technical aspects of getting from
                  ingredients to high quality product and as such provides a forum
                  where the politics of this subject do not encroach on our ability to
                  freely discuss these things. Bringing in politics dilutes that
                  process and draws unnecessary and unwanted attention.

                  Do we need a forum where people can discuss, organize, exchange ideas
                  about the bizarre laws that seem more than anything else to ensure
                  that those with power maintain power; you betcha. I'll be part of
                  it and want to work on getting these issues resolved; but not here.

                  My email is easily traced; I'm not that paranoid, but if I wanted to
                  do I could participate in a site where there is no way to be found;
                  assuming that the dogs of law are not wiling to stakeout the public
                  library to catch me with my very generic email address.

                  Derek

                • Stephen Jarman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 5, 2013
                    Hi Alli, et al,

                    This is my very first reply/post. My first motive was to learn about the how-to of my particular equipment, recipes, idiosyncrasies of the process,etc. And now I'd like to join the effort for legalization. Please send or advise where I can find the proposal so I may make plans to submit it to my rep in Maine.

                    Stephen

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 5, 2013
                      At 01:30 PM 9/5/2013, you wrote:
                      >I am sure there are some who would prefer that we take this cause
                      >someplace else so it does not clogg up the technical discussions of
                      >distilling. On the other hand, if we all get together and get this
                      >this passed, it will go away forever.

                      The point is that many of us do work actively on way to promote
                      change to legislation and please remember this is an international
                      group; not American. It is not "our" cause. One of the most tiresome
                      aspects of the internet is the presumption on the part of "some"
                      American contributors that it is all about America. As much as I
                      love my cousins to the south of here, I don't have much time for
                      your political movements; we have our own fish to fry.

                      Derek
                    • Alli Bugger
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 6, 2013
                      Stevan,
                      Thanks you for your interest in the legalization project.  The proposal is attached. You need a color printer for it to be efective (so you can see the changes in current legislation that is the basis of the proposal).  We ask the you send it to one or both senators in your state and the House congressman/woman who represents your district.  In addition, if you don't mind, please let me know the names of the representatives to whom you send the proposal and the date it was sent - your name is not recorded. Thanks you your support.  If I can answer further questions, please contact me at allibugger@....
                      Alli

                      I'd also like to participate in a similar way, but when you consider how much money is raised from excise duty and other attached taxes in the UK, Norway, Sweden, etc etc.....

                      Its a major revenue raiser for them (check out tbe history of US prohibition and you'll appreciate this further).

                      While they might earn more from alcohol sales than say US or CA governments, the only country with recent form for changing this kind of rule is, as we're all well aware, is NZ.....

                      They seem to have some relatively recent political enlightenment,  which is rather rare among "Western Democracies"......

                      So a better place to chat about it etc, is probably, IMO, a fine idea......
                      -------- Original message -------- From: Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> Date: 05/09/2013 15:22 (GMT+00:00) To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Phone a Friend
                      At 08:11 PM 9/4/2013, you wrote: > > >Have you placed this 26 USC message on http://www.artisan-distiller.net/ web >site? How about some of the other distilling forum? If >new_distillers @ yahoo is your only forum, then that is a big >obstacle. As a matter of fact, it would be easier if all of the >distilling forums were working together on this issue of getting the >laws changed. I come from a different perspective on this. If we need a political, organizational wing to promote distilling, then it needs to be totally separate from this site. Why? Because I believe that this forum provides an opportunity to express opinions and facts about the technical aspects of getting from ingredients to high quality product and as such provides a forum where the politics of this subject do not encroach on our ability to freely discuss these things. Bringing in politics dilutes that process and draws unnecessary and unwanted attention. Do we need a forum where people can discuss, organize, exchange ideas about the bizarre laws that seem more than anything else to ensure that those with power maintain power; you betcha. I'll be part of it and want to work on getting these issues resolved; but not here. My email is easily traced; I'm not that paranoid, but if I wanted to do I could participate in a site where there is no way to be found; assuming that the dogs of law are not wiling to stakeout the public library to catch me with my very generic email address. Derek
                    • Alli Bugger
                      Message 11 of 14 , Sep 6, 2013
                        Derek,
                        You are absolutely correct.  I certainly have been guilty of assuming I was posting to a US audience instead of an international one.  I apologise.  It is my understanding that Canada has the same sort of laws that outlaw distillation, however it appears that your government as you say "have other fish to fry" and pretty much leave the hobby distillers alone.  We in the US are being watched by Big Brother and we don't like it.  Changing the law is our only legal option.  Alli