RE: [new_distillers] Sounds during distilling process

  • Rick Hall
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2013

      That sound you are hearing is “huffing”. This is actually caused by the warm vapors shrinking quickly when they hit the cold of the condenser. It’s harmless actually. There are some things that can be done to lessen it. One thing is to put (solder to tack it in place) a small piece of copper or stainless material (like a piece of pot scrubber material), inside the copper pipe the last 2 inches and about half an inch into the condenser. This will cause the vapors to enter less suddenly, reducing the “huffing”. Another thing you can do is to make sure the IN line of your cold water supply is at the farthest end of the condenser and the OUT flow of the cold water supply at the closest to the upper end of the condenser. The idea is that your condenser will be slightly warmer right near where the water exits out of the condenser and will cause less of the “huffing”.

      I'm new to the world of distilling. I've managed my way through 3 runs. A more experienced friend told me "slow and low" meaning take your time with the operation and don't use too high heat. I'm using an 8 gallon pot still and on my third run was trying to take my time with things. The product was coming out just faster than drips. I turned up the heat a bit and I began to hear what sounded like a puffing sound coming from the Liebig condenser. When I placed my hand by the end of the condenser I could feel the puffs coming out of the end. Can someone tell me what is causing this? I know that alcohol vapor is highly flammable and my heat source is propane so you can imagine my concern. Thanks for your help.

    • eltrain6868
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 26, 2013
        Thank you, very helpful.