Re: [new_distillers] fermentation

  • Bob Glicksman
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 21, 2013
      If you were looking for fast fermentation (just make alcohol) then you appear to have succeeded.  If you run a sugar hydrometer test you will probably see that fermentation is pretty close to completing.  Wait until there is no pressure at all in the airlock (perhaps a day or two more) and you are done.  If you heat it up, the rate of fermentation will speed up and it will complete sooner -- if this is what you want.

      If were making wine or beer, you would probably want slower fermentation than you have achieved, as you would be looking for more subtilty than just sugar conversion to ethanol.

      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 4, 2013
        Morning

        I ferment my batches in an insulated cupboard. There is a dual thermostat. top end activates a copper pipe water cooler (day time temperatures here can get up to 40 deg. C) and lower end activates a heat lamp. This keeps the ferment within the required range

        Best regards

        John

        ran my first batch on a pot still... good learning experience... discovered several screw-ups... started my second batch... 3 gallon in a 5 gallon carboy.. fermentation seemed to start off fast but has for the last few days slowed down to a bubble every 10 or so seconds... thinking about putting part of a heating pad under the fermenter to bring the temp up some from 70 degrees to maybe 75 to 80...??? OR is it the yeast ( bakers yeast) i used...???
        feedback needed
        thanks

      • Zapata Vive