fermentation

  • bubb4244
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 20 9:44 PM
      ran my first batch on a pot still... good learning experience... discovered several screw-ups... started my second batch... 3 gallon in a 5 gallon carboy.. fermentation seemed to start off fast but has for the last few days slowed down to a bubble every 10 or so seconds... thinking about putting part of a heating pad under the fermenter to bring the temp up some from 70 degrees to maybe 75 to 80...??? OR is it the yeast ( bakers yeast) i used...???
      feedback needed
      thanks
    • Bob Glicksman
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 21 9:46 AM
        If you were looking for fast fermentation (just make alcohol) then you appear to have succeeded.  If you run a sugar hydrometer test you will probably see that fermentation is pretty close to completing.  Wait until there is no pressure at all in the airlock (perhaps a day or two more) and you are done.  If you heat it up, the rate of fermentation will speed up and it will complete sooner -- if this is what you want.

        If were making wine or beer, you would probably want slower fermentation than you have achieved, as you would be looking for more subtilty than just sugar conversion to ethanol.

        ran my first batch on a pot still... good learning experience... discovered several screw-ups... started my second batch... 3 gallon in a 5 gallon carboy.. fermentation seemed to start off fast but has for the last few days slowed down to a bubble every 10 or so seconds... thinking about putting part of a heating pad under the fermenter to bring the temp up some from 70 degrees to maybe 75 to 80...??? OR is it the yeast ( bakers yeast) i used...???
        feedback needed
        thanks

      • John Schaerer
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 4, 2013
          Morning

          I ferment my batches in an insulated cupboard. There is a dual thermostat. top end activates a copper pipe water cooler (day time temperatures here can get up to 40 deg. C) and lower end activates a heat lamp. This keeps the ferment within the required range

          Best regards

          John

          ran my first batch on a pot still... good learning experience... discovered several screw-ups... started my second batch... 3 gallon in a 5 gallon carboy.. fermentation seemed to start off fast but has for the last few days slowed down to a bubble every 10 or so seconds... thinking about putting part of a heating pad under the fermenter to bring the temp up some from 70 degrees to maybe 75 to 80...??? OR is it the yeast ( bakers yeast) i used...???
          feedback needed
          thanks

        • Zapata Vive