Re: Starting with a high ABV (60%) in still..

  • drjohnnyc
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20, 2013
      Thanks Bruce,

      That's just what I will do!
      Much obliged,,
      GM

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tonyjones60@... wrote:

      > Friend,
      >
      > You should temper that down to no more than around 30 percent. With an 8 gallon pot, which I have used, I would add at least another gallon of water to the boiler.
      >
      > Best Regards,
      >
      > Bruce

    • matt hammond
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2013

        Why "temper"? Ure not "distilling" then. Ure "dilluting"

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2013
          I use the same still and I always cut mine down to about 30%.  The same amount of alcohol in in the still, that does not change, but it gives you much more room to make your cuts.  It may take a little longer but it will be worth it.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 4, 2013
            reduces hazards, makes cuts easier, and actually increases drinkable spirit, so the man says:
            http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/index.htm

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2013
              I learned it from Harry also, although I don't think I've seen this particular document. The principle has helped me get more flavor and better cuts, so I'm in with Alli and Zapata.

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              From: zapatavive@...
              Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 01:24:09 -0500

              reduces hazards, makes cuts easier, and actually increases drinkable spirit, so the man says:
              http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/index.htm

              On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Alli Bugger <allibugger@...> wrote:

              I use the same still and I always cut mine down to about 30%.  The same amount of alcohol in in the still, that does not change, but it gives you much more room to make your cuts.  It may take a little longer but it will be worth it.

              Recent Activity:

              .