First run

  • johnsmith24668
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 19, 2013
      I just finished my first shot at making a batch of MUM wash. I'd appreciate feedback if my yield is about where I should expect.

      I started with two 4 gallon washes, 1.082 for one, 1.080 for the second and both fermented out to 0.99.

      Stripped both ferments together collecting everything to about 210F/98C at which point I was getting 22% coming off, uncorrected for temperature). I collected a bit under 1.5 gallons at 45%. Treated with bicarb for a week.

      Ran again, with water to cover elements which diluted the charge to 28%. Discarded the first few drips, and started collecting around 172/78 up to 203/95. Yielded a bit under a gallon at about 65%, and again added bicarb.

      Last run I read the gallon at 64% going in, 30% after adding water. Yielded about 4 cups/1 quart of heads around 71%, a bit under 3 cups of hearts at 61%, and about 2.75c of tails at 51%.

      I made the cuts using the multiple jar method, going by smell and taste (cutting in half with water). As I was only collecting about 0.75c per jar, I didn't have enough to determine the % of each bottle.

      It's a lot of numbers! Thanks for casting an eye over it, and any feedback would be very much appreciated.