Starting with a high ABV (60%) in still..

  • drjohnnyc
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13, 2013
      Hi All,

      Am very new to this and just received my 8 Gallon multi purpose from Mile High.
      I have an Absinth ready to go, but only 1 Gallon. Is there anything I should
      know re: using a small amount in a big pot? The beginning ABV is around 60%. I tried this before on a friends unit and got a very, very small return. Is there anything I should know when starting with 60 ABV? Thanks all for your input,

      GM
    • RLB
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 13, 2013
        I find it interesting that people don't realize that if one starts with 10% ABV wash in five gallons, one can only remove a max of 10% of that wash in the form of alcohol.  10% of 5 gallons is 0.5 gallons of pure alcohol, but pot stills will achieve around 50% abv on the stripping run.  In effect, the max amount recoverable on a stripping run would be around 1 gallon at 50% abv.  In 0.5 gallon of pure alcohol, there is Methanol, acetone, rubbing alcohol, ethanol, and a few other types of alcohol.  One can save as a cleaner or toss fore-shots, but in the end they must deal with heads, hearts, and tails.

        My plans involves bio-fuel (whey) and spirits, so my heads and tails will be used for fuel, and hearts will be saved as spirits.  If I am lucky, I will obtain 1 quart of 40% abv of spirits out of 5 gallons of wash.  There is just so much alcohol in wash, so one must increase a pot size or add more sugar to increase percentage of potential alcohol.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 13, 2013
          Friend,

          You should temper that down to no more than around 30 percent. With an 8 gallon pot, which I have used, I would add at least another gallon of water to the boiler.

          Best Regards,

          Bruce

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 20, 2013
            Thanks Bruce,

            That's just what I will do!
            Much obliged,,
            GM

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tonyjones60@... wrote:

            > Friend,
            >
            > You should temper that down to no more than around 30 percent. With an 8 gallon pot, which I have used, I would add at least another gallon of water to the boiler.
            >
            > Best Regards,
            >
            > Bruce

          • matt hammond
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2013

              Why "temper"? Ure not "distilling" then. Ure "dilluting"

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2013
                I use the same still and I always cut mine down to about 30%.  The same amount of alcohol in in the still, that does not change, but it gives you much more room to make your cuts.  It may take a little longer but it will be worth it.

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2013
                  reduces hazards, makes cuts easier, and actually increases drinkable spirit, so the man says:
                  http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/index.htm

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 5, 2013
                    I learned it from Harry also, although I don't think I've seen this particular document. The principle has helped me get more flavor and better cuts, so I'm in with Alli and Zapata.

                    Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                    To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    From: zapatavive@...
                    Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 01:24:09 -0500

                    reduces hazards, makes cuts easier, and actually increases drinkable spirit, so the man says:
                    http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/index.htm

                    On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Alli Bugger <allibugger@...> wrote:

                    I use the same still and I always cut mine down to about 30%.  The same amount of alcohol in in the still, that does not change, but it gives you much more room to make your cuts.  It may take a little longer but it will be worth it.

                    Recent Activity:

                    .