reading material

  • bubb4244
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013
      seriously new here. ive read several books over the years about distilling but not until i looked into this group and the home distiller site did i learn certain aspects of this hobby. two questions.

      any recommended books out there.that are truly worth the cash

      i have a small pot still. did my first run, at first had it set up wrong so ..it didnt work but finally got it going.. only got 2 guarts before scudding the operation.. smelled and tasted ok but, put some in the freezer and it froze... which makes me think low or no alcohol??? getting ready to start a second mash using 5 lb sugar and 1 lb corn meal, using bakers yeast. i know, its very obvious i dont know much but im here to learn.
      comments welcomed.
      thanks
    • thecerealfactory
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013
        I've been a long time home brewer and have been easing up to distilling for awhile now (just got my mile hi pot still in the mail actually!) and for the past year+ I have been reading everything I can find on distilling, and the one book that REALLY stood out to me was "How To Make Whiskey: A Step-by-Step Guide to Making Whiskey" by Bryan Davis. I found it to be the best, most straight forward read on the subject. If I had to pick only one book for someone starting out, that would be it; and it's relatively cheap too! -Jason

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bubb4244" <bubbas55@...> wrote:

        > seriously new here. ive read several books over the years about distilling but not until i looked into this group and the home distiller site did i learn certain aspects of this hobby. two questions.
        >
        > any recommended books out there.that are truly worth the cash
        >
        > i have a small pot still. did my first run, at first had it set up wrong so ..it didnt work but finally got it going.. only got 2 guarts before scudding the operation.. smelled and tasted ok but, put some in the freezer and it froze... which makes me think low or no alcohol??? getting ready to start a second mash using 5 lb sugar and 1 lb corn meal, using bakers yeast. i know, its very obvious i dont know much but im here to learn.
        > comments welcomed.
        > thanks

      • Bob Glicksman
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013
          The "The Compleat Distiller" by Nixon and McCaw is the gold standard.  It is available on-line from The Amphora Society.

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013
            http://www.amphora-society.com/The-Compleat-Distiller-2nd-Edition--by-Nixon-and-McCaw_p_1.html

            I got this one, very good.
            Dave E

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bubb4244" <bubbas55@...> wrote:

            > seriously new here. ive read several books over the years about distilling but not until i looked into this group and the home distiller site did i learn certain aspects of this hobby. two questions.
            >
            > any recommended books out there.that are truly worth the cash
            >
            > i have a small pot still. did my first run, at first had it set up wrong so ..it didnt work but finally got it going.. only got 2 guarts before scudding the operation.. smelled and tasted ok but, put some in the freezer and it froze... which makes me think low or no alcohol??? getting ready to start a second mash using 5 lb sugar and 1 lb corn meal, using bakers yeast. i know, its very obvious i dont know much but im here to learn.
            > comments welcomed.
            > thanks

          • Zapata Vive
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013
              Here are my recommendations in order for a beginner.

              zymurgy bob's Making Fine Spirits was a relatively new purchase for me.
              http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

              To be honest I didn't get a whole lot from it, but I've been playing with stills, reading books, and keeping up with the lists and forums for years.  I do think it is probably the most concise introduction for beginner and maybe intermediate distillers looking to work with pot stills.  If you have a pot still and have any problems getting started I'd give it a strong recommendation.  Focus is really on the absolute beginner, with a suggested progression of equipment, recipes and how to's.

              Smiley's Corn whiskey book is also a great read for beginners.  I'd call it a toss up between this and Z bob's book for a first book for a beginner.  Smiley goes with a different style of still, not a simple pot still.  So it wouldn't match your equipment exactly,  but would still be useful to you.  Branches out just a little beyond corn whiskey, briefly hitting on other whiskey recipes, and even a little info on vodka/neutral alcohol.  Some, but not too much overlap with Z Bob's book.  If you're looking for step by step, I'd say you'd be a little better served by Z Bob's book only because I don't agree 100% with Smiley's choices on equipment.  Not that he's wrong by any means, just that having had several types of stills I personally wouldn't build like he does.  I do wholeheartedly recommend the book as a whole though.

              The Complete distiller is much more focused on column stills and making of vodka/neutral alcohol (with the option of flavoring it later).  If you want to go down that road, it's worth every penny.  It does cover a lot of how and why of distilling, so it is useful knowledge even for a pot stiller, but not step by step kind  of stuff unless you want to make pure flavorless alcohol.  Not essential for a beginning pot stiller, but depending on your budget and personality, a good second / third book.

              Most of the other books I've read are either too technical, or too full of baloney to recommend for a beginner.

              BTW, I linked to Bob's site, where you can buy all the books.  I don't know if he gets anything more by selling them directly than he would if you picked them up elsewhere, but it's cool with me if he does.  Just a personal thing, Bob's been a huge asset to this list.  Nothing against the other authors, they are great assets in their own right.  I've just personally seen less interaction from them where I've been researching the art.

              On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 3:05 AM, bubb4244 <bubbas55@...> wrote:

              seriously new here. ive read several books over the years about distilling but not until i looked into this group and the home distiller site did i learn certain aspects of this hobby. two questions.

              any recommended books out there.that are truly worth the cash

              i have a small pot still. did my first run, at first had it set up wrong so ..it didnt work but finally got it going.. only got 2 guarts before scudding the operation.. smelled and tasted ok but, put some in the freezer and it froze... which makes me think low or no alcohol??? getting ready to start a second mash using 5 lb sugar and 1 lb corn meal, using bakers yeast. i know, its very obvious i dont know much but im here to learn.
              comments welcomed.
              thanks

            • kekedog13
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013
                Welcome aboard bubb, The book I found to be both educational and great fun to read is Ian Smileys "Moonshine". I found it at Hastings bookstore. I couldn't believe my luck when I found it and bought it immediately. Very informative and a great reference book. I sat by my unit with it on my lap many times to ensure I was on track while it was running a batch.It was a good value at only about 17 $. I would have gladly paid more and am currently reading it cover to cover a second time.It is very much worth looking for. There is a picture of it in the photo section .

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zapata Vive <zapatavive@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > art.
                >

                > On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 3:05 AM, bubb4244 <bubbas55@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > seriously new here. ive read several books over the years about distilling
                > > but not until i looked into this group and the home distiller site did i
                > > learn certain aspects of this hobby. two questions.
                > >
                > > any recommended books out there.that are truly worth the cash
                > >
                > > i have a small pot still. did my first run, at first had it set up wrong
                > > so ..it didnt work but finally got it going.. only got 2 guarts before
                > > scudding the operation.. smelled and tasted ok but, put some in the freezer
                > > and it froze... which makes me think low or no alcohol??? getting ready to
                > > start a second mash using 5 lb sugar and 1 lb corn meal, using bakers
                > > yeast. i know, its very obvious i dont know much but im here to learn.

              • M L
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013

                  Subject: Re: [new_distillers] reading material
                  To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013

                    Head of to homedistiller.com and go to the tried and true. I recommend Winoes Plain ol' Sugar Wash. Very easy and it's a good neutral.

                  • Bubbas55
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013
                      thanks for the recommendations.. i found smileys book on amazon and will get a copy.

> [...]

                      > art.
                      >

                      > On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 3:05 AM, bubb4244 <bubbas55@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > seriously new here. ive read several books over the years about distilling
                      > > but not until i looked into this group and the home distiller site did i
                      > > learn certain aspects of this hobby. two questions.
                      > >
                      > > any recommended books out there.that are truly worth the cash
                      > >
                      > > i have a small pot still. did my first run, at first had it set up wrong
                      > > so ..it didnt work but finally got it going.. only got 2 guarts before
                      > > scudding the operation.. smelled and tasted ok but, put some in the freezer
                      > > and it froze... which makes me think low or no alcohol??? getting ready to
                      > > start a second mash using 5 lb sugar and 1 lb corn meal, using bakers
                      > > yeast. i know, its very obvious i dont know much but im here to learn.

                    • Michael Gore
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013

                        I'm not trying to take away anything from authors of distilling books, but most info can be found online. Especially at sites like homedistiller.com.

                      • M L
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 13, 2013
                          OOPS, Correction. The book "Moonshine" I was referring to is by Matthew B.Rowley

                          Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: reading material
                          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 13, 2013

                            Thats certainly true.  But take zbob s book for example.  Read everyrhing he had shared for free online and you get MORE than whats in his book.  But the book lays it all out, in order, and not interspersed with a variety of comments from others.  Books are great for beginners, references for the experienced, or just those that dont have the time or interest to wade through conflicting info from unknown authors.

                            I think the power of the internet is the vast amount and quality of information available to all of us.  Un/fortunately the net has no editor, so books will always have a place.

                            On Aug 12, 2013 5:18 PM, "Michael Gore" <mgore73@...> wrote:

                            I'm not trying to take away anything from authors of distilling books, but most info can be found online. Especially at sites like homedistiller.com.

                          • matt hammond
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 3, 2013

                              Hi bubb

                              I recommend the book "making pure corn whisky" by Ian Smiley BSc

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 3, 2013
                                Why not read www.homedistiller.org?  Its free and contains a huge amount of information.

                                Robert