Re: Whiskey yeast, Prestige vs. Ultra vs. ? for various whiskey types

  • gravelier007
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2013
      There is an article on yeast comparisons on Clawhammer Supply web site. After reading that article, I have been using bread yeast for most everything. I think it let's the flavor of the mash come through better than most other yeasts. I just finished brewing a summer shandy (lemon), using barley and unmalted wheat, and bread yeast. It turned out pretty good. No, it does not have any bread flavor. However, it finished really dry.
    • Zapata Vive
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2013
        Thanks gravelier, I went and read the article, I think you mean this one?
        http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/7784687-the-best-yeasts-for-distilling
        And while interesting, I think their test had a fatal flaw.  They made a rum wash, and then extrapolated for all distilling.  I think it pretty well known that bread yeast makes great rum.  But without a cereal wash, I think the way they extrapolated their results to whisk(e)y is a little presumptuous.

        Now your results are more relevant, as it sounds like you have used bread yeast for non rum washes, which is interesting.  Do you mind elaborating a little on what you've used the bread yeast for, and what other yeasts you have used on similar washes to compare it to?
        Thanks