Max ABV

  • gravelier007
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2013
      Just for grins, I did a little test run on a rum wash using Red Star bread machine yeast. I kept adding sugar and recording the specific gravity before and after each sugar addition. I ended up at 17.06 ABV. That appears to be where the yeast topped out and activity was essentially stopped. I probably wasted a little sugar as the final gravity was 1.017. Should have been less than 1.000. But at least I know what it is capable of reaching. My wife said it was the best rum she has ever had.
    • Ric Cunningham
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1 4:36 AM
        I have made meads with wine yeast that have pushed up to 18 percent with proper yeast nutrition. Step feeding has been used to drive ABV's up around 25%. Too much work for distillation wash, a good ferment of 10-14% is sufficient.

        --
        US Navy - 100% on watch
      • RLB
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1 11:07 AM
          Use Livine EC-1118 and add extra DAP.  15% abv is easy to achive.  I have done steps before, but it adds weeks to my fermentation.