Wild idea

  • captndan78
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2013
      I'm new to this forum and have a sweet feed mash going now. I am also an avid BBQ'r. As such I make my own lump charcoal.. Red oak is all I use. The finished product is nearly pure carbon. So I had the idea to add the lump to the finished run or put the run over the lump as a filtering agent. Nuts?
    • Jeff Kimble
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2013
        I can tell you from personal experience it comes across VERY smoky..   I would try it with a small sample and taste it along the way.  A quart on charcoal, a quart on toasted oak, and pint untouched.

        On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 4:51 AM, captndan78 <captndan78@...> wrote:

        I'm new to this forum and have a sweet feed mash going now. I am also an avid BBQ'r. As such I make my own lump charcoal.. Red oak is all I use. The finished product is nearly pure carbon. So I had the idea to add the lump to the finished run or put the run over the lump as a filtering agent. Nuts?

      • jeffkimblelv
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2013
          I can tell you from personal experience it comes across VERY smoky.. I would try it with a small sample and taste it along the way. A quart on charcoal, a quart on toasted oak, and a pint untouched for control.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "captndan78" <captndan78@...> wrote:

          > I'm new to this forum and have a sweet feed mash going now. I am also an avid BBQ'r. As such I make my own lump charcoal.. Red oak is all I use. The finished product is nearly pure carbon. So I had the idea to add the lump to the finished run or put the run over the lump as a filtering agent. Nuts?

        • Heath Dollar
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2013
            Sounds like a good idea I use mesquite myself

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jul 30, 2013, at 6:51 AM, "captndan78" <captndan78@...> wrote:

            I'm new to this forum and have a sweet feed mash going now. I am also an avid BBQ'r. As such I make my own lump charcoal.. Red oak is all I use. The finished product is nearly pure carbon. So I had the idea to add the lump to the finished run or put the run over the lump as a filtering agent. Nuts?

          • Jim Graves
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 30, 2013
              No you're not nut, just a little "flackey"!!!!  Make a column of 2" pvc pipe, make it 48" long. put a 2x4 adapter on the top and then put a 10" piece of 4" into the end of the adapter.   On the other end of the 2" pipe, put a cap that has a very small hole drilled in it.  About .030-.040 or so, not bigger or the carbon will come out.  Fill the column up with your charcoal and add the liquor to it and let it seep thru the charcoal.  Now, this will take all, ALL taste out of the booze, so if you're running sour mash etc, it will be tasteless.  The best filter media is peat carbon.  After the carbon is used, it soaks up the fussil oils and must be boiled to evaporate it.  The the carbon is ready to use again.  I'm not sure how the charcoal is going to work....I make it too, out of pecan, but only use peat carbon in the filter.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.   Jim

              I'm new to this forum and have a sweet feed mash going now. I am also an avid BBQ'r. As such I make my own lump charcoal.. Red oak is all I use. The finished product is nearly pure carbon. So I had the idea to add the lump to the finished run or put the run over the lump as a filtering agent. Nuts?

            • Alli Bugger
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30, 2013