RE: [new_distillers] sweet feed

  • Lynne Rhodes
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 28, 2013
      When distilling corn do you need malt?  I cannot locate the product..so can it be removed from the recipe or substituted?

      Sent from my Kyocea Hydro

      bob@... wrote:

      The problem with sweet feed is the amount of protein. Molasses used in it is high in protein and the grains have a lot of protein. My experience has been that you will have less hearts than you think you will have.  Neutral spirits would be the only useful thing. Run on a thumper I don’t believe you would be able to gag it down. Unless you were extremely desperate. Good Luck with the bargain booze.

      Bob c

      Wouldn't you want to grind it and mash it?  How else would you get anything useful out of it?

    • M L
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 28, 2013
        Malt provides enzymes to convert the starches in the corn to fermentable sugars. You can use powdered enzymes available from home brew supply shops in place of malt. If you are just using the corn for some flavor and sugar for the alcohol then the enzymes are not that important.

        Subject: RE: [new_distillers] sweet feed
        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 28, 2013
          Ya, But I have a grain grinder for grinding beer making grains , so it'd be easy to run it through it to get all the grainy goodness from whatever kind of grains are in sweet feed ..

          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Friday, July 26, 2013, 10:44 PM

          Ya I saw were you soak it then use a blender to
          break the grain
          On Jul 27, 2013 12:36
          AM, "M L" <kekedog13@...>
          wrote:

          Speaking of sweet feed, do you guys crush it or
          grind it before fermentation ? If you have the means to do
          so wouldn't it be beneficial to get more good from the
          grain?

          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

          Date: Friday, July 26, 2013, 7:16 AM

          Kansad

          On Jul 26, 2013 9:09

          AM, "Robbie Mabry" <robbie46@...>

          wrote:

          What part of the country are you

          in

          On Fri, Jul 26, 2013

          at 12:17 AM, kimmarriott <kimmarriott11@...>

          wrote:

          Hey i am going to try some sweet feed what kind do

          you all use? Thank you