Re: sweet feed

  • captndan78
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kimmarriott" <kimmarriott11@...> wrote:

      > Hey i am going to try some sweet feed what kind do you all use? Thank you

      I looked at sweet feed and it had stuff in it that I did not like. So, I'm going to try 1/2 cracked corn and 1/2 dried molasses.
    • Kim Marriott
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013

        Kansas

        On Jul 26, 2013 9:16 AM, "Kim Marriott" <kimmarriott11@...> wrote:

        Kansad

        On Jul 26, 2013 9:09 AM, "Robbie Mabry" <robbie46@...> wrote:

        What part of the country are you in

        On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:17 AM, kimmarriott <kimmarriott11@...> wrote:

        Hey i am going to try some sweet feed what kind do you all use? Thank you

      • Robbie Mabry
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013

          Go to any small town feed coop

          On Jul 26, 2013 8:00 PM, "kimmarriott" <kimmarriott11@...> wrote:

          Kansas

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robbie Mabry <robbie46@...> wrote:

          > What part of the country are you in
          >

          > On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:17 AM, kimmarriott <kimmarriott11@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hey i am going to try some sweet feed what kind do you all use? Thank you

        • kimmarriott
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
            Sounds good

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kimmarriott" <kimmarriott11@...> wrote:

            > Hey i am going to try some sweet feed what kind do you all use? Thank you

          • bobcrowder2001
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013

              The problem with sweet feed is the amount of protein. Molasses used in it is high in protein and the grains have a lot of protein. My experience has been that you will have less hearts than you think you will have.  Neutral spirits would be the only useful thing. Run on a thumper I don’t believe you would be able to gag it down. Unless you were extremely desperate. Good Luck with the bargain booze.

              Bob c

              Wouldn't you want to grind it and mash it?  How else would you get anything useful out of it?

            • Lynne Rhodes
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 28, 2013
                When distilling corn do you need malt?  I cannot locate the product..so can it be removed from the recipe or substituted?

                Sent from my Kyocea Hydro

                bob@... wrote:

                The problem with sweet feed is the amount of protein. Molasses used in it is high in protein and the grains have a lot of protein. My experience has been that you will have less hearts than you think you will have.  Neutral spirits would be the only useful thing. Run on a thumper I don’t believe you would be able to gag it down. Unless you were extremely desperate. Good Luck with the bargain booze.

                Bob c

                Wouldn't you want to grind it and mash it?  How else would you get anything useful out of it?

              • M L
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 28, 2013
                  Malt provides enzymes to convert the starches in the corn to fermentable sugars. You can use powdered enzymes available from home brew supply shops in place of malt. If you are just using the corn for some flavor and sugar for the alcohol then the enzymes are not that important.

                  Subject: RE: [new_distillers] sweet feed
                  To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 28, 2013
                    Ya, But I have a grain grinder for grinding beer making grains , so it'd be easy to run it through it to get all the grainy goodness from whatever kind of grains are in sweet feed ..

                    To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Friday, July 26, 2013, 10:44 PM

                    Ya I saw were you soak it then use a blender to
                    break the grain
                    On Jul 27, 2013 12:36
                    AM, "M L" <kekedog13@...>
                    wrote:

                    Speaking of sweet feed, do you guys crush it or
                    grind it before fermentation ? If you have the means to do
                    so wouldn't it be beneficial to get more good from the
                    grain?

                    To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                    Date: Friday, July 26, 2013, 7:16 AM

                    Kansad