Re: sweet feed

  • captndan78
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kimmarriott" <kimmarriott11@...> wrote:

      > Hey i am going to try some sweet feed what kind do you all use? Thank you

      I looked at sweet feed and it had stuff in it that I did not like. So, I'm going to try 1/2 cracked corn and 1/2 dried molasses.
    • Kim Marriott
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013

        Kansas

        On Jul 26, 2013 9:16 AM, "Kim Marriott" <kimmarriott11@...> wrote:

        Kansad

        On Jul 26, 2013 9:09 AM, "Robbie Mabry" <robbie46@...> wrote:

        What part of the country are you in

        On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:17 AM, kimmarriott <kimmarriott11@...> wrote:

        Hey i am going to try some sweet feed what kind do you all use? Thank you

      • Robbie Mabry
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013

          Go to any small town feed coop

          On Jul 26, 2013 8:00 PM, "kimmarriott" <kimmarriott11@...> wrote:

          Kansas

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013

            Ya I saw were you soak it then use a blender to break the grain

            On Jul 27, 2013 12:36 AM, "M L" <kekedog13@...> wrote:

            Speaking of sweet feed, do you guys crush it or grind it before fermentation ? If you have the means to do so wouldn't it be beneficial to get more good from the grain?

            Subject: Re: [new_distillers] sweet feed
            To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Friday, July 26, 2013, 7:16 AM

            Kansad
            On Jul 26, 2013 9:09
            AM, "Robbie Mabry" <robbie46@...>

            On Fri, Jul 26, 2013
            wrote:

            Hey i am going to try some sweet feed what kind do
            you all use? Thank you

          • Robert Rickman
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
              Wouldn't you want to grind it and mash it?  How else would you get anything useful out of it?
            • kimmarriott
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
                Sounds good

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kimmarriott" <kimmarriott11@...> wrote:

                > Hey i am going to try some sweet feed what kind do you all use? Thank you

              • bobcrowder2001
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013

                  The problem with sweet feed is the amount of protein. Molasses used in it is high in protein and the grains have a lot of protein. My experience has been that you will have less hearts than you think you will have.  Neutral spirits would be the only useful thing. Run on a thumper I don’t believe you would be able to gag it down. Unless you were extremely desperate. Good Luck with the bargain booze.

                  Bob c

                  Wouldn't you want to grind it and mash it?  How else would you get anything useful out of it?

                • Lynne Rhodes
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 28, 2013
                    When distilling corn do you need malt?  I cannot locate the product..so can it be removed from the recipe or substituted?

                    Sent from my Kyocea Hydro

                    bob@... wrote:

                    The problem with sweet feed is the amount of protein. Molasses used in it is high in protein and the grains have a lot of protein. My experience has been that you will have less hearts than you think you will have.  Neutral spirits would be the only useful thing. Run on a thumper I don’t believe you would be able to gag it down. Unless you were extremely desperate. Good Luck with the bargain booze.

                    Bob c

                    Wouldn't you want to grind it and mash it?  How else would you get anything useful out of it?

                  • M L
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 28, 2013
                      Malt provides enzymes to convert the starches in the corn to fermentable sugars. You can use powdered enzymes available from home brew supply shops in place of malt. If you are just using the corn for some flavor and sugar for the alcohol then the enzymes are not that important.

                      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 28, 2013
                        Ya, But I have a grain grinder for grinding beer making grains , so it'd be easy to run it through it to get all the grainy goodness from whatever kind of grains are in sweet feed ..

                        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                        Date: Friday, July 26, 2013, 7:16 AM

                        Kansad

                        On Jul 26, 2013 9:09