Re: sweet feed

  • captndan78
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kimmarriott" <kimmarriott11@...> wrote:

      > Hey i am going to try some sweet feed what kind do you all use? Thank you

      I looked at sweet feed and it had stuff in it that I did not like. So, I'm going to try 1/2 cracked corn and 1/2 dried molasses.
    • Kim Marriott
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013

        Kansad

        On Jul 26, 2013 9:09 AM, "Robbie Mabry" <robbie46@...> wrote:

        What part of the country are you in

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013

            Go to any small town feed coop

            On Jul 26, 2013 8:00 PM, "kimmarriott" <kimmarriott11@...> wrote:

            Kansas

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robbie Mabry <robbie46@...> wrote:

            > What part of the country are you in
            >

            > On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:17 AM, kimmarriott <kimmarriott11@...>wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hey i am going to try some sweet feed what kind do you all use? Thank you

          • M L
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013
              Speaking of sweet feed, do you guys crush it or grind it before fermentation ? If you have the means to do so wouldn't it be beneficial to get more good from the grain?

              Subject: Re: [new_distillers] sweet feed
              To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Friday, July 26, 2013, 7:16 AM

              Kansad
              On Jul 26, 2013 9:09
              AM, "Robbie Mabry" <robbie46@...>

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013

                Ya I saw were you soak it then use a blender to break the grain

                To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Friday, July 26, 2013, 7:16 AM

                Kansad
                On Jul 26, 2013 9:09
                AM, "Robbie Mabry" <robbie46@...>

                On Fri, Jul 26, 2013
                wrote:

                Hey i am going to try some sweet feed what kind do
                you all use? Thank you

              • Brendan Keith
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
                  Message
                  It's only useful to grind it if you heat the water to the correct temperature to gelatinize the various starches (~160F), and then the correct temperature to convert the starch (if there are any enzymes present in the feed, or through the addition of additional ground malt or powdered enzymes), and then cool it to ~90F or less before pitching yeast.

                  Otherwise, you need to use several pounds of sugar and you'll be making a sweet-feed-flavored sugar wine.

                  --

                  Brendan Keith

                  bkeith@...

                  To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Friday, July 26, 2013, 7:16 AM

                  Kansad
                  On Jul 26, 2013 9:09
                  AM, "Robbie Mabry" <robbie46@...>

                  On Fri, Jul 26, 2013
                  wrote:

                  Hey i am going to try some sweet feed what kind do
                  you all use? Thank you

                • Robert Rickman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
                    Wouldn't you want to grind it and mash it?  How else would you get anything useful out of it?
                  • kimmarriott
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
                      Sounds good

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kimmarriott" <kimmarriott11@...> wrote:

                      > Hey i am going to try some sweet feed what kind do you all use? Thank you

                    • bobcrowder2001
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013

                        The problem with sweet feed is the amount of protein. Molasses used in it is high in protein and the grains have a lot of protein. My experience has been that you will have less hearts than you think you will have.  Neutral spirits would be the only useful thing. Run on a thumper I don’t believe you would be able to gag it down. Unless you were extremely desperate. Good Luck with the bargain booze.

                        Bob c

                        Wouldn't you want to grind it and mash it?  How else would you get anything useful out of it?

                      • Lynne Rhodes

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 28, 2013
                            Malt provides enzymes to convert the starches in the corn to fermentable sugars. You can use powdered enzymes available from home brew supply shops in place of malt. If you are just using the corn for some flavor and sugar for the alcohol then the enzymes are not that important.

                            To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 28, 2013
                              Ya, But I have a grain grinder for grinding beer making grains , so it'd be easy to run it through it to get all the grainy goodness from whatever kind of grains are in sweet feed ..

                              To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                              Date: Friday, July 26, 2013, 7:16 AM

                              Kansad

                              On Jul 26, 2013 9:09