Re: Internal element questions

  • johnsmith24668
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2013
      I got the pot still. Ultimately more interested in rum and whiskey, but sounds like MUM is a good place to start getting a feel for the craft.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, TODP <danimae@...> wrote:

      > I run this rig.. what tower do you have?
      > On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM, johnsmith24668 wrote:
      >

      > I got Mile-Hi's 8 gallon milk jug pot still, with a 1500w "Heet-O-Matic
      > #305" internal element. It has a knob on the end for heat control that
      > goes from 0-11 [insert Spinal Tap reference here].
      >
      > 1) For a stripping run, do I just crank it as high as it'll go as long
      > as the condenser can keep up? Also, I know I should judge heat settings
      > for a spirit run based on output flow, but if anyone has used this
      > particular set up or element I'd appreciate an idea of what settings I
      > might want to start at when I get to that point.
      >
      > 2) In my enthusiasm I've whipped up a MUM Hybrid Wash, which is bubbling
      > away happily. I probably won't be able to get to it for a bit though, so
      > I was considering tossing baking soda in after the strip. I thought I
      > read somewhere it's not a good idea to add something (baking soda or
      > salt, maybe?) if you have an internal element due to concerns of
      > corrosion.
      >
      > Thanks for the help!
      >

      > <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com')>

    • johnsmith24668
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2013
        I've got the pot still version.

        Thanks for the feedback, it's a place to start. I'll probably run some water a time two to clean and get a feel.

        Does anyone have any thoughts about using baking soda with internal elements?