Internal element questions

  • johnsmith24668
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 19, 2013
      I've been reading for about five years, and finally made the plunge and bought a still when I finally admitted I don't have the metal working chops to build one myself. I tried, but just didn't feel safe.

      I got Mile-Hi's 8 gallon milk jug pot still, with a 1500w "Heet-O-Matic #305" internal element. It has a knob on the end for heat control that goes from 0-11 [insert Spinal Tap reference here].

      1) For a stripping run, do I just crank it as high as it'll go as long as the condenser can keep up? Also, I know I should judge heat settings for a spirit run based on output flow, but if anyone has used this particular set up or element I'd appreciate an idea of what settings I might want to start at when I get to that point.

      2) In my enthusiasm I've whipped up a MUM Hybrid Wash, which is bubbling away happily. I probably won't be able to get to it for a bit though, so I was considering tossing baking soda in after the strip. I thought I read somewhere it's not a good idea to add something (baking soda or salt, maybe?) if you have an internal element due to concerns of corrosion.

      Thanks for the help!
    • TODP
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19, 2013
        I run this rig.. what tower do you have? IF you have the 2"reflux combo.. I run set on #8 from start to finish. You will find it takes an hour and a 1/2 just to heat it up to the 190+F to start! Then turn your water on and it will take another 15 min to start getting heads @ 168F.. run off heads till taste clears and @ 172-3F.. you will be getting a full clean 184-8 PROOF on your FIRST run.. no need for stripper runs!! Dilute with RO water in 1/2 for 100 Proof nice vodka! Have done all the recipes.. I stick to the KISS method and it works every time!!

        I only wish they still offered the 220V element as the 120V 1500WT is JUST BARELY enough to make it work and cost the most to run! I have augmented with a hot plate under and it helps some.. but once it starts it will run about 32oz every 20min of 185+ proof!
         Been thinking of adding another element lower on visit side of can for double the heat for start up then throttle back to one to distill..

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 20, 2013
          I got the pot still. Ultimately more interested in rum and whiskey, but sounds like MUM is a good place to start getting a feel for the craft.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, TODP <danimae@...> wrote:

          > I run this rig.. what tower do you have?
          > On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM, johnsmith24668 wrote:
          >

          > I got Mile-Hi's 8 gallon milk jug pot still, with a 1500w "Heet-O-Matic
          > #305" internal element. It has a knob on the end for heat control that
          > goes from 0-11 [insert Spinal Tap reference here].
          >
          > 1) For a stripping run, do I just crank it as high as it'll go as long
          > as the condenser can keep up? Also, I know I should judge heat settings
          > for a spirit run based on output flow, but if anyone has used this
          > particular set up or element I'd appreciate an idea of what settings I
          > might want to start at when I get to that point.
          >
          > 2) In my enthusiasm I've whipped up a MUM Hybrid Wash, which is bubbling
          > away happily. I probably won't be able to get to it for a bit though, so
          > I was considering tossing baking soda in after the strip. I thought I
          > read somewhere it's not a good idea to add something (baking soda or
          > salt, maybe?) if you have an internal element due to concerns of
          > corrosion.
          >
          > Thanks for the help!
          >

          > <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com')>

        • johnsmith24668
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20, 2013
            I've got the pot still version.

            Thanks for the feedback, it's a place to start. I'll probably run some water a time two to clean and get a feel.

            Does anyone have any thoughts about using baking soda with internal elements?