Changes to 26 USC for Legalization

  • allibugger
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 19, 2013
      This post is directed at all members who reside in the USA. I assume anyone reading this message is aware that the distillation of alcohol in any amount without a permit from the ATF (Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms) is against Federal laws. It is also agaist all state laws that I know of except Missouri. I also assume that most members of this forum are aware that recently the TTB (Alcohol and Tobacco Tax Trade Bureau) sent a demand letter to all of the major manufacturers/sellers (read the ones they could identify) requiring them to send the TTB a list of the names and adddresses of everyone they sold a distilling apparatus to during the past 3 years. Going forward this list of customer's names/addresses is to be submitted quarterly. What the TTB intends to do with this list is unknown to those of us not connected with the TTB.

      There is a petition going around to supossedly be sent to Congress requesting that hobby distilling be legalized. Many of you may have signed it - some have expressed concern about putting their real name on something that is currently illegal.

      During the past several months members on the Brehaus Forum have been working very hard on a change to the current legislation that we think will fix the law. Basically what this change does is put hobby distillers on a par with the beer and wine makers who are allowed to produce up to 200 gallons of beer or wine a year without a permit. The proposed change would allow anyone to distill as much or as little of the currently legal amount of beer (mash) of 200 gallons. Put another way, you would be able to ferment up to 200 gallons of mash per year per household and distill some of it or all of it.

      To access this proposal, go to www.brewhaus.com and go to the bottom of the left side of the home page and find Forum. That will take you to the Form page - open that and click on Legalization. The 2nd topic is 26 USC for Legalization. At the bottom of the 1st post is the document: hd-legalization-1.0.pdf. Open that doc and read it. It is open - you can add or subtract from it as you see fit.

      Now comes the hard part. We need to get this proposal to as many Congressmen/Women as possible. They are busy fighting and this proposal will not make the Feds a dime. What it will do save the TTB money because they wouldn't have to worry about collecting $27.00 from everyone who makes 2 gallons of untaxed hooch. Do you know a corgress person? Do you know someone who does? Send this proposal to them. Meet them at a tomnhall metting and hand it to them. Make an appointment and go to their office. Don't be afraid to start with one of their aids as long as somebody listens to you. Attached is a shortcut you can copy and paste in your browser: http://www.brewhausforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=889&d=1373544747

      If you have questions on how to proceed, send me an email. Thanks for reading. Alli
    • allibugger
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 29, 2013
        John et al.,
        Sorry guys but I never got permission from the moderator to post this spreadsheet. You will have to get it the from the Brewhaus forum, Legalization, Tracking File for Legislators.

        The latest update is today. Since this post we have added Texas, Kentucky and Illinois. We need someone to contact Senator Robert C. Casey, Senator of Pennsylvania. He just said he was pushing to lower the tax rate on small breweries in Pittsburgh and across the country. See my post on the Brewhaus forum; Legalization, Goal #2.

        I may be contacted personnaly at allibugger@.... We are starting to roll - let's keep the ball moving. Thanks. Alli