Update on Harry's health

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13 2:38 PM
      First off, let me say a whole-hearted THANK YOU!!! to all the people who were standing in my corner.  The power of prayer and well wishes has definitely carried the day.

      The surgeons reversed their diagnosis.  They decided that instead of full triple bypass procedure, I would instead have angioplasty and two expanding stents fitted.  This is a much safer and less traumatic fix for my blockage problem.

      Seems that what I set out to achieve 11 years ago has paid off.  The arteries behind and to the side of my heart have over the years grown their own veins around the blockages, effectively bypassing and supplying bloodflow (and oxygen) naturally.

      What caused the latest hiccup was the artery on the FRONT of the heart becoming drastically narrowed.  So that one now has two enlarging stents in it to restore bloodflow (I've got before & after pics I'll upload when I get a chance).
      Lifelong blood-thinning and cholesterol management medications will now mitigate future issues.

      The big thing in all this was discovering that I also have type 2 diabetes!  Which was why I felt so shitty all the time and my eyesight was sometimes blurred.
      For this I now have to monitor my blood sugar levels and inject myself with insulin (lantis pen) every day.  But I am told that if I lose about 15-20 kilos, this condition too will probably disappear!

      So the outcome has been very favourable and I now feel a whole lot BETTER than I've felt in years! (probably due to the diabetes control)  Just gotta lose the bruising and get my breathing capacity back up to scratch.
      Gimme a few weeks and I'll be back larger than life.  :)

      Once again, many thanks to all of you for the support.  I'll try to catch up on emails etc. when I can.

      Bottom line?...self-medication with one's own poison-free alcoholic spirits (medicinal doses) and nothing else, is an outright winner.
       After 11 years of this I'm living proof of it.

      Owner :         Y! new_distillers    Y! Distillers    The Alcohol Library
    • Kegs

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 13 9:16 PM

          Get well soon mate.

          Cheers Ken Mc

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14 5:08 AM
            That's awesome news Harry! Thanks for keeping us updated! We will keep praying for you!

            Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson

          • shotman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 14 6:42 AM
              Great news Harry,
              As an Insulin dependent diabetic myself (diagnosed in Dec 2012 during my wife”s Chemo treatments) I know how high sugar affects your eyesight and the way you feel. Good luck with your new goals and look forward to your future posts.
              Have a great day,
              shotman

            • Alli Bugger
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 14 8:22 AM
                Harry,
                Great news on several fronts. Feeling bad all the time is a bummer regardless of the cause. The angioplasty is so much less invasive that the open chest route and you will recover much faster.  The best thing you can do for your heart when you are up to it is walk 30 to 45 minutes a day.  This will also help with the weight loss you mentioned.  Do what the Doc says and you will be fine. We all love having you back.  Alli
              • morganfield1
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 16 2:09 PM
                  Good on ya, Mate! Live long and prosper, and keep up the "medicinal dosages"! Thanks again for all the help you've given me over the years.

                  Tip one,

                  Morgan