Whiskey yeast, Prestige vs. Ultra vs. ? for various whiskey types

  • Zapata Vive
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2013
      Hey there good distillers.  I'm wanting some input on whisk(e)y yeasts.  Specifically I have at my disposal Prestige and Ultra.  Quick note on ultra, it's from Brewhaus, I just looked at their site and it isn't there any more.  The label is exactly the same as what they have now as "high spirits whisky yeast", which I don't think was there a month ago.  I don't know if the two are the same?

      I'm making all sorts of whisky, so I'm wondering the best yeasts for each type.  I've got in my future sour mash corn, "cooked" pure corn, pure malted barley, and bourbon.  Stepping up from sugar and deer corn is a lot more costly, and I'd like a few votes of confidence before experimenting on say 100# of barley!

      I've used prestige with excellent results on "traditional" style sour mash corn.  Really excellent results.  It's smooth and often deliciously fruity.  Several people who have only had the worst shine or commercial white corn liquors wouldn't even believe it was made from just corn, insisting it was some sort of brandy.  I personally think it's just flat out more delicious straight from the jar than all the flavored concoctions so popular in my area lately (apple pie, kiwi, lemon mint, etc).  I will definitely use this again at least for sour mash corn.

      But those fruity notes don't sound at home in a scotch style drink.  Or do they?  Maybe they fit in a Highland style but not an Islay?

      Anybody got a review on the ultra brand?  Beyond the "works good" style comments that were on brewhaus' website?

      Anybody used prestige in an all barley malt wash?

      I'm also open to other yeast suggestions, especially from people who have compared several yeasts across several whiskey types, but all input is appreciated.

      I've been lurking the last several years, but not daily so I'm not up on the current activities of the groups.  Is this more of a [distillers] question, or do most people read and respond to both groups still?

      zapatavive!
    • Brewhaus / Hot Sauce Depot
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2013

        What you have (Ultra) is the same as High Spirits.  We changed the brand name of the yeasts that we produce after the first batch, but the recipe is the same.

        Rick

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2013
            There is an article on yeast comparisons on Clawhammer Supply web site. After reading that article, I have been using bread yeast for most everything. I think it let's the flavor of the mash come through better than most other yeasts. I just finished brewing a summer shandy (lemon), using barley and unmalted wheat, and bread yeast. It turned out pretty good. No, it does not have any bread flavor. However, it finished really dry.
          • Zapata Vive
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 2013
              Thanks gravelier, I went and read the article, I think you mean this one?
              http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/7784687-the-best-yeasts-for-distilling
              And while interesting, I think their test had a fatal flaw.  They made a rum wash, and then extrapolated for all distilling.  I think it pretty well known that bread yeast makes great rum.  But without a cereal wash, I think the way they extrapolated their results to whisk(e)y is a little presumptuous.

              Now your results are more relevant, as it sounds like you have used bread yeast for non rum washes, which is interesting.  Do you mind elaborating a little on what you've used the bread yeast for, and what other yeasts you have used on similar washes to compare it to?
              Thanks