50% cuts

  • allibugger
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2013
      Running a spirit run on a sugar wash I was getting about 75%/80% ABV of crystal clear distillate. Afterwards, I cut that down to 50% and the product turned cloudy. Never seen it do that before. Any explainations? Alli
    • gravelier007
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2013
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "allibugger" <allibugger@...> wrote:

        > Running a spirit run on a sugar wash I was getting about 75%/80% ABV of crystal clear distillate. Afterwards, I cut that down to 50% and the product turned cloudy. Never seen it do that before. Any explainations? Alli

        I would think it was something in the water. Do you have any of the spirits left to try a different water source. I am on well water, so I am always hesitant to use it to,cut spirits. I use bottled, reverse osmosis run, water for dilution.
      • Jerry McCullough
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2013
          Pretty well the exact same thing happened to me a few years back. It has only happened to me once. Subsequent similar distillations had no problems.  I brought the question to this group and one of the sages with tons of experience explained that the mostly likely occurrence is that you got too far into the tails and some fats and other icky stuff got carried over. When you diluted the distillate, there was some degree of temperature change and that change caused the fats to clump together and produce the clouding.

          The problem is easy to cure since you are making vodka, carbon filter the distillate. It will return to the crystal clear state.

          Have a great day,

          Jerry