Re: Malting Corn, Drying and Grinding Corn Malt

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 14, 2013
      The mold is black. I have only tried to malt twice, and I got black mold both times. Is there a way to prevent it or does it come with the territory?

      > > Have you ever followed the Alpha Amylase with Gluco Amylase? Is this not an important second step? I have malted 10 lb. corn which got a considerable amount of mold in the process. Do I ignore the mold and boil it anyway, or how can I prevent the mold from happening in the first place?
      > >
      > What color is the mold? If it is blue/green I think it's really bad.... (trimmed)
    • gravelier007
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 14, 2013
        Hey Chuck

        The person who started this thread is Tarvus33991. He is the one with experience in malting corn. I would try to send him a message and ask your question directly. My thought is that any mold is bad mold. But I am not the expert. I would rather grind the corn, cook it to sterilize and gelatinize the starch. And then use enzyme to convert the starch to sugar. Your way just seems like too much work. But who am I to judge.

        Hope you get your answers. Good luck

        G.

      • suborbital@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
          Hi Chuck,

          I've managed to make 2 lb batches of corn malt and used that to convert 10 lb of corn (2 lb malt corn + 8 lb corn).

          Take 2 lb of the corn and immerse in enough warm water to cover by a couple inches. Let stand for 12 hours. Drain, rinse and re-immerse. Repeat twice more (total of 36 hours). Drain the corn and dump it into a malt roller. It looks like this << http://youtu.be/_-41wQHHi0o >> scaled down to a five gallon bucket. You'll need a timer to start and stop it -- mine runs for 1 minute every 72 minutes. You should see chits within a day and roots equal to the kernel length in 5 to 7 days depending on temperature and humidity. Eventually the rootlets will dry up and turn black if you leave them long enough. Grind with a blender just before you use it.

          HTH