ATB warrning

  • Hopefull
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 13, 2013

      Hello,

              As many of you are probably already aware, the TTB (Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau), which is the federal government agency that controls virtually all things related to alcohol, formally requested the list of sales of distillers, distillation columns, and boilers.  The request encompasses all sales of these products (and these products only- supplies and other equipment are not required to be documented) for the past three years, and quarterly reports from this point on.  This appears to have been an industry wide movement, as all of the major producers and distributors have received the same request.  We are contacting you to let you know that, based on your purchase date and the product(s) that you purchased, your information will be included on our list to the TTB.

              We have fielded a very large number of phone calls and e-mails asking what the TTB intends to do with this information.  This is something that we cannot answer.  There are many theories being discussed on various forums, including our own (www.brewhausforum.com), however, they are not currently substantiated.  Even though it should not have a significant effect to those not using the equipment to distill alcohol or those who have already obtain proper licensing, it can still prove to be an inconvenience should the government act on the information.

              One possible positive side to this action is that it has energized many people who support hobby distillation (who are obviously the most concerned over the request), and there is now some movement to press for legalization of hobby distillation.  If you would be interested in supporting this movement, please visit our forum.

              While this is obviously beyond our control, we are sorry to be the bearer of such news.

                      Sincerely,

                      Brewhaus

    • fatbloke
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 13, 2013
        Hum ? What do you say to that ?

        How about......no or get a warrant signed by a nice man.....called a federal judge

        Or just tell the email originator to clear off with their scaremongering email hoaxes shoved firmly up their backside........

        Or just...... sue me !

        Hopefull <hopefull_romantic@...> wrote:

[...]

      • allibugger
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 13, 2013
          Flatbroke you are right. It is hard to know if any of these scare emails are legit or not. Where I live, distilling of alcohol is a misdemeanor and I can't believe that the feds, with all they have to deal with, are going to come knocking on my door to see if I am using a still I bought to make a few quarts of ethenol. They either have to catch me in the act or have a warrant. If my activities are all they have to worry about, this country is in much better shape than I thought. Maybe the sequester will put a cog in their wheels.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, fatbloke <fatbloke@...> wrote:

          > Hum ? What do you say to that ?
          >
          > How about......no or get a warrant signed by a nice man.....called a federal judge
          >
          > Or just tell the email originator to clear off with their scaremongering email hoaxes shoved firmly up their backside........
          >
          > Or just...... sue me !Hopefull <hopefull_romantic@...> wrote:Hello,
          >
          >         As many of you are probably already aware, the TTB (Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau), which is the federal government agency that controls virtually all things related to alcohol, formally requested the list of sales of distillers, distillation columns, and boilers.  The request encompasses all sales of these products (and these products only- supplies and other equipment are not required to be documented) for the past three years, and quarterly reports from this point on.  This appears to have been an industry wide movement, as all of the major producers and distributors have received the same request.  We are contacting you to let you know that, based on your purchase date and the product(s) that you purchased, your information will be included on our list to the TTB.
          >
          >         We have fielded a very large number of phone calls and e-mails asking what the TTB intends to do with this information.  This is something that we cannot answer.  There are many theories being discussed on various forums, including our own (www.brewhausforum.com), however, they are not currently substantiated.  Even though it should not have a significant effect to those not using the equipment to distill alcohol or those who have already obtain proper licensing, it can still prove to be an inconvenience should the government act on the information.
          >
          >         One possible positive side to this action is that it has energized many people who support hobby distillation (who are obviously the most concerned over the request), and there is now some movement to press for legalization of hobby distillation.  If you would be interested in supporting this movement, please visit our forum.
          >
          >         While this is obviously beyond our control, we are sorry to be the bearer of such news.
          >
          >                 Sincerely,
          >
          >                 Brewhaus

        • Blackhat-Whitedog
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 13, 2013
            I do believe that this info was collected is/was known already....its mentioned on some FAQs.   In fact it surprises me that they hadn't already collected this info.  (and since the recent revelations about NSA data collecting, don't they already have our credit card charges and our mailing list memberships)    However, when I do buy my own rig, I'll make a point of buying it local, with cash.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
              Just remember the gov't will spend millions to collect a few pennies in taxes!  And that is what they will try to get you for!

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 15, 2013
                If you have built your rig from scratch using typical plumbing components there is no way anywone can assume that it is a still

[...]

                        We have fielded a very large number of phone calls and e-mails asking what the TTB intends to do with this information.  This is something that we cannot answer.  There are many theories being discussed on various forums, including our own (http://www.brewhausforum.com/), however, they are not currently substantiated.  Even though it should not have a significant effect to those not using the equipment to distill alcohol or those who have already obtain proper licensing, it can still prove to be an inconvenience should the government act on the information.
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 15, 2013
                  Another argument is using the rig to experiment with the refining of old cooking oil to turn it into diesel fuel

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 16, 2013
                    It just so happens that I do make bio diesel and I can use ethanol to make it with, but, BUT, the law says you still have to have a permit to make alcohol to make bio diesel.  Go figure....

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
                      Does this include ebay?

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Hopefull" <hopefull_romantic@...> wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > As many of you are probably already aware, the TTB (Alcohol and
                      > Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau), which is the federal government agency that
                      > controls virtually all things related to alcohol, formally requested the
                      > list of sales of distillers, distillation columns, and boilers. The request
                      > encompasses all sales of these products (and these products only- supplies
                      > and other equipment are not required to be documented) for the past three
                      > years, and quarterly reports from this point on. This appears to have been
                      > an industry wide movement, as all of the major producers and distributors
                      > have received the same request. We are contacting you to let you know that,
                      > based on your purchase date and the product(s) that you purchased, your
                      > information will be included on our list to the TTB.
                      >
                      > We have fielded a very large number of phone calls and e-mails
                      > asking what the TTB intends to do with this information. This is something
                      > that we cannot answer. There are many theories being discussed on various
                      > forums, including our own (www.brewhausforum.com), however, they are not
                      > currently substantiated. Even though it should not have a significant
                      > effect to those not using the equipment to distill alcohol or those who have
                      > already obtain proper licensing, it can still prove to be an inconvenience
                      > should the government act on the information.
                      >
                      > One possible positive side to this action is that it has energized
                      > many people who support hobby distillation (who are obviously the most
                      > concerned over the request), and there is now some movement to press for
                      > legalization of hobby distillation. If you would be interested in
                      > supporting this movement, please visit our forum.
                      >
                      > While this is obviously beyond our control, we are sorry to be the
                      > bearer of such news.
                      >
                      > Sincerely,
                      >
                      > Brewhaus

                    • Lumpy Rutherford
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 1, 2013
                        Guys, I don't know how things work in your various countries, But I've never heard of the government sending emails to people who don't actually use their real names to threaten or warn them about anything. If you haven't received a registered letter at your home or received a knock at the door, odds are, you've found a scammer when you open an email of that type...