Re: [new_distillers] Re: which alcohol?

  • matt hammond
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
      Dear Mr Bob, thanks for your reply

      ------------------------------
      On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 2:04 PM EDT tgfoitwoods wrote:

      >Matt,
      >
      >Not sure that I understand the Elvis allusion, but no, there's no
      >possibility you made rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) instead of drinking
      >alcohol (ethanol) if your tool was yeast fermentation. Distilling just
      >changes the concentrations of whatever your fermentation made.
      >
      >Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits
      ><http://kelleybarts.com/MFS.html>
      >
      >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "matth" wrote:
      >>
      >> Is it possible that I have made rubbing alcohol instead of ethanol?
      >How can I tell that I haven't made rubbing alcohol?

    • matt hammond
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
        Dear gravelier, thanks for your reply

        ------------------------------
        On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 3:21 PM EDT gravelier007 wrote:

        >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "matth" <matt_hammond2003@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Is it possible that I have made rubbing alcohol instead of ethanol? How can I tell that I haven't made rubbing alcohol?
        >>
        >Isopropyl alcohol is ethanol that has has been changed to make you sick if you drink it. I don't think it is designed to kill you, only make you sick and make you wish you hadn't drank it.
        >
        >However, when you distill a naturally fermented liquid, you get 4 distinct types of product. All are products of yeast fermentation from sugar sourced ethanol. The first product out the pipe is referred to as " fores" then " heads" "hearts" and "tails. The fores are potentially poisonous and usually amount to about 1% of the source product. So about 1.25 oz per gallon of source. They may be why you think that you made rubbing alcohol. Throw these out or use for solvent. Serously.
        >
        >The heads are pretty sharp, but won't kill you, but may result is a pretty bad headache. I save these and blend them back into my next run. The hearts are smoother and are what you really want. When you get into the tails, your ABV is dropping off and you will be getting some off smells. A little of the tails sometimes adds some character, depending on the source. For instance - sour mash corn whiskey.
        >
        >This is a really brief response to your question. There is a tremendous amount of info in this forum that you should research before you go much further. And other distilling forums. Do some more reading and keep yourself out of trouble. People have had numerous discussions on how to make the determinations, why to collect in numerous small containers, let it set with the cover off overnight, and lots more.
        >
        >Be safe and enjoy

      • girlguidebiscuit
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
          gravelier007 wrote: "Isopropyl alcohol is ethanol that has has been changed to make you sick if you drink it.

          I think you must be mistaken in this statement, as nowhere in the wikipedia article (link below) is isopropanol production from ethanol mentioned.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

          Paul

        • gravelier007
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013