Re: making a mash from 50lb bag of feed store craked corn but no malt

  • ballard_bootlegger
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2013
      If you don't have malt readily available you can purchase just enzymes that will convert the starches for you. Effective enzymes can be found at just about any online brewing retailer.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "big mike" <micael1802@...> wrote:

      > I have a 50 lbs bag of cracked corn from a feed store. I know you can ferment unmalted corn but you need to cook the unmalted corn to a 152 degrees and add a little bit of malt to it, let sit for a few hrs then add yeast. i don't have malt really available near me so would corn syrup substitute for malt I can get this for 4 or 5 bucks from walmart

    • matt hammond
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 20, 2013

        I've read that 30-45 minutes is enough when boiling corn? As opposed to several hours? Anyone have experience in this?

        Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 21, 2013
          Jim:

          Alfalfa sprouts, chick peas, mung beans are just as good as barley because they contain the same enzymes as barley.  Corn has the same enzymes as barley, but in very small amounts.  In most cases a few pounds of barley will convert 50 lbs. of corn.  The standard for non barley use is 25% malt and 75% grain.  13 pounds of malled corn is sufficient to convert 37 lbs of cracked corn.  I never purchase cracked corn because that allows me to malt some corn and and grind the rest.

          Big Mike

          Buy whole corn and malt it.