Re: Rough recipe ratios

  • gravelier007
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2013
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Slingshot" <slange22@...> wrote:

      > I have been distilling for several years now, and have been using proven recipes found in the groups...
      >
      > I am now wanting to experiment with my own. All grain to be exact. Is there a rough ratio for pounds of grain to gallons of water? With that, ratio/volume of yeast to pounds of grain and gallons of water.
      >
      > For conversion, I have seen, but don't remember, 10% malted barley??? Sound about right?

      Wow, such and open question, and not really knowing what your knowledge level is per doing all grain. First, you are going to need a way to get the sweet liquors off the steeped grains. Either a Lauder tun or a grain sack. A Lauder tun is much easier, in my opinion. I built mine with 2 new 5 gallon buckets. Drilled about a 1000, 1/8" holes in the bottom of one and put a hose thru the side at the bottom of the other. I use the Lauder tun to filter the sweet liquor off the grains.

      Ok, now for the grain recipe. Working in ratios, as I have no idea as to the size of your fermenter. I did a 70/30% ratio for corn and malted barley. Actually 7 lb corn and 3 lbs malted barley. In a 8 gallon fermenter. Did a 5 gallon batch. Dont remember exactly the percent, but about 6-7. I had trouble with the conversion using the malt barley for the enzyme source to convert the starch in the corn. I did not get very good conversion of the corn starch and ended using alpha amylase to convert the corn starch. There are a whole lot of issues here as to conversion and confirmation issues due to suspenders in the wash cause false positives with the iodine test.

      Second batch, I knew I was going the have difficulties with the corn starch conversion, so I had the alpha amylase enzyme ready and converted the corn starch. I was working with a 50/25/25 ratio of corn, unmalted wheat, malted barley. After steeping and conversion, I filter off the sweet liquor with my Lauder run. You can keep recycling the sweet liquor through the Lauder tun until it comes really clear. The grain will act as a filter media. You need to have full conversion of the starches to sugars or you won't be able to get much through the Lauder tun. After the liquor come clear, I put more 180 F water through the grain to get the volume I'm looking for. Also purges addition sweet liquor from the grain bill.

      So, there you have it. If you are using unmalted grain, you are going to have starches present. You need to convert the starches to sugars such that the yeast can work on them. I am not really sure, but it may be that the only place you are going to get enzymes for conversion of starches is from the malted barley. 6 row has more enzyme present then 2 row, by about a third. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think that malted wheat and rye don't have anything significant amount of enzyme present to help with any conversion of starches to sugars from unmalted grains. You will need additional enzyme, purchased, for conversion of starches. Yeasts will produce some enzymes of their own for conversion, but I understand that it is a slow process. You are better using the commercially available products.

      So, as to a ratio of grain to water, I use about 2 lbs grain per gallon of water and end with about 6.5 to 7 % abv. My final gravity goes to 1.000 or a little below. I use purchase enzymes to help with conversion of starches. I use ground field corn and wheat, unmalted, and malted barley. You will need to cook the corn to at least 190 F, to gelatinized the starches from the corn as a first step. Then start with my conversion from there.