Re: [new_distillers] making a mash from 50lb bag of feed store craked corn but no malt

  • matt hammond
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2013
      Big mike: the malted grain helps convert the starches in the corn into sugar that the yeast, you add subsequently, converts into alcohol. I use Canadian distillers malt and I get it from NORTHERN BREWER. You need to use flaked corn. If you don't use flaked corn, ground corn is fine but you need to cook it, boil it, for 25 minutes. Be very careful and don't let the ground corn stick to the pot and burn, after it cools to 152 degrees f, add the crushed/ground malt. You can get malt grain from NORTHERN BREWER for $1.25 a lb, be sure to tell em Benjamin Hammond sent you so I can get a discount. Feel free to email with any further questions you might have, and oh yeah stir that mash every 15 minutes for 90 minutes and then let it keep cooling down to whatever the manufacturer suggest for adding the yeast

      ------------------------------
      On Tue, May 28, 2013 11:55 AM EDT Jim Graves wrote:

      >No, syrup is not a sub for malted barley.  The enzymes in the barley is what the corn needs to convert the sugar to alcohol.  I'm afraid without the barley, you just are going to waste good corn.  You need to cook and hold that temp for several hours, after that just cover and let sit until cool enough to add yeast.  My mash will be thick and gooey and I then add the needed water to make the batch, this cools it enough to add the yeast at that point.  BUT, you need the malted barley...

      >Jim
      >
      >________________________________

    • ballard_bootlegger
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2013
        If you don't have malt readily available you can purchase just enzymes that will convert the starches for you. Effective enzymes can be found at just about any online brewing retailer.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 20, 2013

          I've read that 30-45 minutes is enough when boiling corn? As opposed to several hours? Anyone have experience in this?

          Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

[...]

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 21, 2013
            Jim:

            Alfalfa sprouts, chick peas, mung beans are just as good as barley because they contain the same enzymes as barley.  Corn has the same enzymes as barley, but in very small amounts.  In most cases a few pounds of barley will convert 50 lbs. of corn.  The standard for non barley use is 25% malt and 75% grain.  13 pounds of malled corn is sufficient to convert 37 lbs of cracked corn.  I never purchase cracked corn because that allows me to malt some corn and and grind the rest.

            Big Mike

            Buy whole corn and malt it.