recipe question

  • matth
    Message 1 of 4 , May 26, 2013
      Without looking at the recipe files I want to just throw my own out there and ask if it seems like it will work. I started with 1.7 lbs of ground corn and 0.3 lbs of crushed malted barley and let it fly with a packet of ale yeast (enough for 4 gallons says the distributor and I was working 3 gallons). Well the wait time and the settle time that I was suggested was a little off I suppose because everything turned to vinegar. I also didn't figure on preparation technique to be different for ground corn and flaked corn.
      > I am now informed that one should cook ground corn for 25 minutes for wash and I am using now 1.2 lbs of ground corn, 0.2 lbs of crushed malted barley and 0.5 lbs of white sugar per one gallon of water. I'm going to let it ferment for 2 weeks and distill promptly.
      > If I can figure out how to post pictures on here I want to show y'all my still and get y'all to tell me if I'm on the right track
    • John Foster
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2013
        Newbies,
        Making spirits from grain is a 3 step process:
          1) Convert the long carbohydrate molecule that is stored in the grain into sugar, enzymes are required for this.  The enzymes can come from either malted grain or directly added from a purchased product.  The enzymes from malted grain are active from 142-152 degrees F.
          2) Convert the sugar into alcohol, yeast is needed for this.  The yeast will die if the temperature is too high (above 80 ? 90 degrees F) or the alcohol content is too high (this depends on the type of yeast)
          3) Increase the alcohol content, your still is needed for this.

        Here is my basic procedure:
        1. Make a Mash
          a. Fill boiler with 12 gallons of water.
          b. Add cap full of lactic acid to decrease Ph.
          c. Bring water to a boil
          d. Add 20 lbs of cracked corn from the local farmers Co-Op.
          e. Bring mash to a boil again
          f. Reduce heat to avoid boil over and scorching.
          g. Boil 10 - 15 minutes, used to release the starch in corn into solution.
          h. Turn off heat and allow mash to cool to 155o F, approx 1 hour.
          i. Add 10 lbs of Malted barley, used to convert the starch to sugar. Stir well and insulate the entire boiler.
          j. Allow to rest for 2 hours, stirring every half hour.  Perform iodine-starch test to determine if conversion is complete, if desired.
          k. Drain wash from boiler into fermenting vessels seperating the spent grain from the liquid.  Throw away the spent grain.
        2. Ferment wash
          a. Allow the liquid to cool to room temperature, usually over night.
          b. Add activated yeast, seal and add air-locks to the fermenter (optional, may cover with cheese cloth).
          c. Wait a minimum of 3 - 4 days until fermentation is complete. The air-locks will stop bubbling.
        3. Distill

        There are many variation to this procedure, but this gives you the basics

               Chris
      • matt hammond
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 20, 2013

          I've heard that one should constitute cracked corn in water before boiling when releasing starch for conversion to prevent miniscule air pockets in the granules which will in turn make it less likely for bacteria to grow in the wash? Has anyone else read or been told this?

          Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 22, 2013

            Never heard that, sounds like a silly reasoning. Especially in corn whisky where some bacteria is not only ok, but desireable.

            In fact I intentionally grow bacteria on a portion of my corn before starting a wash.

            Regardless the mechanism seems flawed. In other hobbies I routinely completely sterilize grain with heat with no concerns about air pockets impeding the process.