Re: Malting Corn, Drying and Grinding Corn Malt

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 8 , May 25, 2013
      Fantastic! Thanks Tarvus

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tarvus" <tarvus33991@...> wrote:

      > This is really quite simple to do. A 10 pound batch is a nice,
      > workable amount to start with.
      >
      > Buy a 50 pound sack of feed corn and measure out 10 pounds worth.
      > Place the 10 pounds

      <snipped for brevity>

      > Happy brewing and distilling!
      > Tarvus

    • gravelier007
      Message 2 of 8 , May 28, 2013
        Seems like a tremendous amount of work.

        I grind the field corn, and then bring to a rolling boil about 2 quarts of water per pound of ground corn. After a good boil, I turn off the heat, and stir in the ground corn. The temp drops to about 180 F. I let it set overnight and it is about 120F in the morning and like goo, thick gravey with corn starch. I then use about a tsp of Alpha Amylase from Brewhaus.Com per 2 pounds of corn. This is probably a little heavy on the alpha, but it works good. In about 5 minutes, the starch is converted to sugar and ready to hit with yeast when cool.

        The boiling water takes care of any wild yeasts that may sour the mash, and the long soak time takes care of fully geletinizing the starch in the corn. I don't usually do a 100% corn mash. I like to add malted barley, wheat, rye. Depend on the mood at the time.

        If you have ever really looked at what you get with the field corn, you will see a lot of dirt. Also, with the sugars and starch in the corn, it is really ready for mold. So, don't skip the boil. You really need the heat to kill off all the undesireables.

        G.
      • Chuck
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 12, 2013
          Have you ever followed the Alpha Amylase with Gluco Amylase? Is this not an important second step? I have malted 10 lb. corn which got a considerable amount of mold in the process. Do I ignore the mold and boil it anyway, or how can I prevent the mold from happening in the first place?

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gravelier007" <bhoren@...> wrote:

          > Seems like a tremendous amount of work.
          >
          > I grind the field corn, and then bring to a rolling boil about 2 quarts of water per pound of ground corn. After a good boil, I turn off the heat, and stir in the ground corn. The temp drops to about 180 F. I let it set overnight and it is about 120F in the morning and like goo, thick gravey with corn starch. I then use about a tsp of Alpha Amylase from Brewhaus.Com per 2 pounds of corn. This is probably a little heavy on the alpha, but it works good. In about 5 minutes, the starch is converted to sugar and ready to hit with yeast when cool.
          >
          > The boiling water takes care of any wild yeasts that may sour the mash, and the long soak time takes care of fully geletinizing the starch in the corn. I don't usually do a 100% corn mash. I like to add malted barley, wheat, rye. Depend on the mood at the time.
          >
          > If you have ever really looked at what you get with the field corn, you will see a lot of dirt. Also, with the sugars and starch in the corn, it is really ready for mold. So, don't skip the boil. You really need the heat to kill off all the undesireables.
          >
          > G.

        • gravelier007
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck" <warnerphoto@...> wrote:

            > Have you ever followed the Alpha Amylase with Gluco Amylase? Is this not an important second step? I have malted 10 lb. corn which got a considerable amount of mold in the process. Do I ignore the mold and boil it anyway, or how can I prevent the mold from happening in the first place?

            What color is the mold? If it is blue/green I think it's really bad. This is from my neighbor farmer who throws away large amounts of corn silage if it has any blue green mold on it. Makes the cows sick. If it is white, it may actually be wild yeast. This why I mash the ground corn and then use alpha amylase (AA) to convert starch to sugar. See my procedure above.

            I have some gluco, but have not used it as yet. I presently have my fermenters tied up with beer and rum wash. I have had my corn wash ferment down to less than 1.000 while not using gluco, so I am not sure that I really need it in the way that I do my mash. Also, gluco works best at about pH 5 and is designed to work on dextrins. I have heard that using back set as part of the mash will depress the pH. But I am not sure how that will effect the working of the AA. Also, although GA works best at pH 5, will it work slower at higher pH? Also, don't know. All these questions

            Good luck, enjoy

            G.
          • Chuck
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 14, 2013
              The mold is black. I have only tried to malt twice, and I got black mold both times. Is there a way to prevent it or does it come with the territory?

              > > Have you ever followed the Alpha Amylase with Gluco Amylase? Is this not an important second step? I have malted 10 lb. corn which got a considerable amount of mold in the process. Do I ignore the mold and boil it anyway, or how can I prevent the mold from happening in the first place?
              > >
              > What color is the mold? If it is blue/green I think it's really bad.... (trimmed)
            • gravelier007
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 14, 2013
                Hey Chuck

                The person who started this thread is Tarvus33991. He is the one with experience in malting corn. I would try to send him a message and ask your question directly. My thought is that any mold is bad mold. But I am not the expert. I would rather grind the corn, cook it to sterilize and gelatinize the starch. And then use enzyme to convert the starch to sugar. Your way just seems like too much work. But who am I to judge.

                Hope you get your answers. Good luck

                G.

              • suborbital@rocketmail.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                  Hi Chuck,

                  I've managed to make 2 lb batches of corn malt and used that to convert 10 lb of corn (2 lb malt corn + 8 lb corn).

                  Take 2 lb of the corn and immerse in enough warm water to cover by a couple inches. Let stand for 12 hours. Drain, rinse and re-immerse. Repeat twice more (total of 36 hours). Drain the corn and dump it into a malt roller. It looks like this << http://youtu.be/_-41wQHHi0o >> scaled down to a five gallon bucket. You'll need a timer to start and stop it -- mine runs for 1 minute every 72 minutes. You should see chits within a day and roots equal to the kernel length in 5 to 7 days depending on temperature and humidity. Eventually the rootlets will dry up and turn black if you leave them long enough. Grind with a blender just before you use it.

                  HTH