Re: Total Newbie here

  • Jeffrey Embry
    Message 1 of 10 , May 15, 2013
      Okay folks...got my first run through the air still today.  The fermentation seemed to go so-so.  The output after distillation did have a yeasty odor.  It is running through the filter now.  Don't know for certain, but I suspect I will just have to start over.

      Anyhow, I will include ideas presented here on my next run.

      Thanks to all that helped.

      First off Jeff, thats too much sugar, use only a pound to gallon of water, the yeast will not be able to convert two pounds before it dies, too much alcohol.  Secondly don't use turbo yeast, you'll get a bad taste off it and will NOT be able to filter it out, third, open you bucket up throw the air lock away and leave the mix to the air.  cover it with a towel, the yeast needs oxygen to live and work.  There are lots of opinions on this, but expeience has taught me, leave it open.  Did you put a little yeast nutrients in the mix?  It needs a little dap or yeast nutrients.  For yeast I always use lavin ec1118, its wine yeast, finishes nice, no after taste and produces good product...hope this helps, its just my opinion.   Jim