Need a little guidance

  • et_couldry
    Message 1 of 3 , May 15, 2013
      I have a simple sugar mash. I use a 3gal pot still. With a water heating element for cooking. I only seem to get about two cups of drinkable shine out. I also have trouble making cuts? I am 140 proof. What's the basic defantion of abv%? Evan
    • cookin_e85
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2013
        need a little more information. What kind of sugar wash (not mash, mash contains grains)
        what was your ABV of the wash when you started distillation?
        you say 3 gallon pot still but how much liquid in the still?

        very basic ABV is alcohol by volume. i.e. 140 proof is 70% ABV.

        You say 2 cups drinkable? before any cuts or after?

        Im still new to this as well I run typically 4 gallons of wash in a 15 gallon reflux still from a 4 gallon wash I get a return of about 4 quarts ish total take away fores, heads, n tails im down to about 3 ish quarts per 4 gallons of wash. with about a quart of true hearts.

        Hope this helps.. like I said im still new... but will lend input if I can.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "et_couldry" <et_couldry@...> wrote:

        > I have a simple sugar mash. I use a 3gal pot still. With a water heating element for cooking. I only seem to get about two cups of drinkable shine out. I also have trouble making cuts? I am 140 proof. What's the basic defantion of abv%? Evan

      • Evan
        Message 3 of 3 , May 24, 2013
          My wash is a five gallon wash. I use 3gals of juice 2gals of water 10-12 lbs sugar and 1/2 cup of distillers yeast.  That's my recipe. I am not sure what my abv is on my wash before cooking. I have a hydrometer to tell me the proof of my finished when I'm done. Would that work to tell me the abv when I started? The amount I told you is after I make my cuts. Which  I'm still not real good at! Cause I don't understand how you make your cuts yet. I put in about 3/4 full of my pot still when I am cooking. Do you use a electric heat source?

          Sent from my iPhone