Re: Re-Distilling

  • local yokel
    Message 1 of 11 , May 15 4:50 PM
      there is a relationship between the starting abv and the collected abv. it varies from distiller to distiller due to still design and cuts made and kept in your final collection. when running corn whiskey I try to have the abv of my second wash so that when I make my cuts and normal collection, it will be at about the abv I wish to age at or drink at. adding water to proof just dilutes flavor, IMO.
      ,
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "allibugger" <allibugger@...> wrote:

      > I read in either Making Fine Spirits or The Compleat Distiller that when doing a spirit run or re-distilling a spirit run one should aim for a 29% ABV in the boiler. I am wondering where the 29% comes from? Why not 40% or some other percent of ABV? Thanks Alli

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 11 , May 15 9:06 PM
        Thanks for picking this one up, yokel, and you're right, of course.

        Sometimes I can't get to my computer for a while.

        ZBob on the road in San Jose
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "local yokel" wrote:

        > there is a relationship between the starting abv and the collected
        abv. it varies from distiller to distiller due to still design and cuts
        made and kept in your final collection. when running corn whiskey I try
        to have the abv of my second wash so that when I make my cuts and normal
        collection, it will be at about the abv I wish to age at or drink at.
        adding water to proof just dilutes flavor, IMO.
        > ,
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "allibugger" allibugger@ wrote:
        > >
        > > I read in either Making Fine Spirits or The Compleat Distiller that
        when doing a spirit run or re-distilling a spirit run one should aim for
        a 29% ABV in the boiler. I am wondering where the 29% comes from? Why
        not 40% or some other percent of ABV? Thanks Alli

      • John Schaerer
        Message 3 of 11 , May 20 2:27 AM
          This gave me a good explination of what you were talking about.

          I nearly had heart failure at the thought of my wholr rig exploding into nothing when I refined my high wine

          How to Use Boiling Stones for Evaporation

          Sean Lancaster
          Sean Lancaster has been a freelance writer since 2007. He has written for Writers Research Group, Alexis Writing and the Lebanon Chamber of Commerce. Lancaster holds a Doctor of Philosophy in chemistry from the University of Washington.
          By Sean Lancaster, eHow Contributor
          How to Use Boiling Stones for Evaporation thumbnail Learn about the use of boiling stones when bringing liquids to boil.
          Many chemical reactions require evaporation upon completion for the recovery of the reaction products. One drawback to evaporating solvents is the chance of supercritical heating of the solvent causing the liquid to bump. Bumping occurs when the solution is ready to boil but is unable due to the lack of seed bubbles. Seed bubbles are very small air bubbles that grow in size until they are able to break free and rise to the surface. Boiling stones, also known as boiling chips or boiling points, provide sites for the formation of seed bubbles to allow for the smooth boiling of solvents.

          Other People Are Reading