Re: What barrel should i be looking for????

  • jsducote
    Message 1 of 12 , May 15, 2013
      Ah, I misunderstood. I thought the sole purpose of the process you described was to vacuum-seal the jar. Like using a vacuum to accelerate marinading meat. Still, the wood could be heated separately before putting it in the bottle and pumping it down. I think you can get more of a vacuum this way (assuming it matters) and with a different stopper you could alternate between pumping air in and sucking it out, simulating naturally varying barometric pressure on the outside of a wooden keg over time in storage (again, assuming it matters).

      I seem to have a large number of empty wine bottles lying around (don't remember emptying them!) and was just thinking of ways to reuse them.
      -j

      > I'm guessing that would work well, although perhaps not as quickly as
      > when the wood itself is heated.
      >
      > ZBob on the road
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" wrote:
      > >
      > > Do you think you could accomplish the same thing by putting "green"
      > spirit into an old (thoroughly cleaned, of course) wine bottle with oak
      > strips or chips, then drawing a vacuum on the bottle with a VacuVin or
      > similar wine preservation kit?
      > > -j
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble zymurgybob@
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > ...get a vacuum seal when the jar cools down.

    • gravelier007
      Message 2 of 12 , May 24, 2013
        Chris:

        There is a whole discussion in Brewhaus Forum on aging and how it can be done without barrels and in pretty short time. I bought some medium toasted oak chips from Brewhaus and aged some squeezin's in about a week. Took a bottle to a cook out and people couldn't believe that it could work so fast. But it does. It is all based on surface area and volume of product. I got some pretty good compliments on the run. There are easier ways, that is, unless you really want a barrel.