Re: What barrel should i be looking for????

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 12 , May 14, 2013
      I'm guessing that would work well, although perhaps not as quickly as
      when the wood itself is heated.

      ZBob on the road

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" wrote:

      > Do you think you could accomplish the same thing by putting "green"
      spirit into an old (thoroughly cleaned, of course) wine bottle with oak
      strips or chips, then drawing a vacuum on the bottle with a VacuVin or
      similar wine preservation kit? This would eliminate having to carefully
      handle a hot glass jar.

      > For those unfamiliar, VacuVin is a bottle-sized rubber stopper with an
      embedded one-way air valve. A small hand held pump is used to suck air
      out of the bottle through the stopper. The theory being that air in an
      unfinished bottle of wine will spoil it faster. A basic kit with 3
      stoppers and the pump typically runs $10-15.
      > Example- http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40520735
      > -j
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble zymurgybob@
      wrote:

      > ...get a vacuum seal when the jar cools down.

    • jsducote
      Message 2 of 12 , May 15, 2013
        Ah, I misunderstood. I thought the sole purpose of the process you described was to vacuum-seal the jar. Like using a vacuum to accelerate marinading meat. Still, the wood could be heated separately before putting it in the bottle and pumping it down. I think you can get more of a vacuum this way (assuming it matters) and with a different stopper you could alternate between pumping air in and sucking it out, simulating naturally varying barometric pressure on the outside of a wooden keg over time in storage (again, assuming it matters).

        I seem to have a large number of empty wine bottles lying around (don't remember emptying them!) and was just thinking of ways to reuse them.
        -j

        > I'm guessing that would work well, although perhaps not as quickly as
        > when the wood itself is heated.
        >
        > ZBob on the road
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" wrote:
        > >
        > > Do you think you could accomplish the same thing by putting "green"
        > spirit into an old (thoroughly cleaned, of course) wine bottle with oak
        > strips or chips, then drawing a vacuum on the bottle with a VacuVin or
        > similar wine preservation kit?
        > > -j
        > >
        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble zymurgybob@
        > wrote:
        > > >
        > > ...get a vacuum seal when the jar cools down.

      • gravelier007
        Message 3 of 12 , May 24, 2013
          Chris:

          There is a whole discussion in Brewhaus Forum on aging and how it can be done without barrels and in pretty short time. I bought some medium toasted oak chips from Brewhaus and aged some squeezin's in about a week. Took a bottle to a cook out and people couldn't believe that it could work so fast. But it does. It is all based on surface area and volume of product. I got some pretty good compliments on the run. There are easier ways, that is, unless you really want a barrel.